What's new

Few Cityscapes from NAVY WEEK in New Orleans *Fireworks included*

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 21, 2010
Messages
2,522
Reaction score
464
Location
New Orleans, LA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Haven't shot, in what seems like months, but got out last night for some fireworks in downtown New Orleans. First two shots with Sigma 10-20mm, last shot with Sigma 85mm 1.4

1.

DSC_0005 by NOLA_2T, on Flickr

2

DSC_0013 by NOLA_2T, on Flickr

3

DSC_0031 by NOLA_2T, on Flickr
 
Picture 1 is nicely composed and exposed. I really like it.

Picture 2 just missed the mark. The fire works are too small and too far off to one side as you've composed your photo, plus there is just too much sky, which is basically just dead space. By cropping out most of the sky to about 3/4 of an inch max from the top of the fire works, the balance changes just enough to have the fire works play a much more prominent part of your picture, and there is just that much more pop to it.

Picture 3 just doesn't cut it. The Aircraft carrier is almost lost in the busy lights of the city.
 
Thanks for the CC.

In regards to #2, trust me, once the fireworks started, both my buddy and I were pissed they were shot so far off from the city. We had no idea where they were launching the fireworks from so our guess was wrong lol.

I sort of agree with #3, but the aircraft carrier is lit nicely on my monitors at home, but at work (which are darker monitors) it doesn't look good. Are your monitors calibrated?
 
Thanks for the CC.

In regards to #2, trust me, once the fireworks started, both my buddy and I were pissed they were shot so far off from the city. We had no idea where they were launching the fireworks from so our guess was wrong lol.

I sort of agree with #3, but the aircraft carrier is lit nicely on my monitors at home, but at work (which are darker monitors) it doesn't look good. Are your monitors calibrated?

the crop for picture 2 really helps and will solve that problem.

My monitor is only calibrated with a few scales I downloaded for B&W tonal values. I can see all the steps from total black to complete white on those two scales. Color is subjective. I'm waiting till later this year to upgrade to a dedicated system that will be setup for PP editing as it's primary function.
 
I adore #1
#2, the white right bottom corner and the little branch by the water really bother me.
 
I adore #1
#2, the white right bottom corner and the little branch by the water really bother me.

Easily cloned out, will work on that tonight. I'd say these images are about 98% SOOC.
 
agreed, number 1 was shot at the perfect time of day! the colour of the sky is wonderful
 
#1 is plain awesome! Not sure if its my tablet, but is the city in #2 out of focus?
 
#1 is plain awesome! Not sure if its my tablet, but is the city in #2 out of focus?

Thanks and I think its more or less softness of the lens than oof, unfortunately. After seeing images taken with my 85 and the razor sharpness, my city with the 10-20 was just not cutting it :(
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom