Few more night shots.......

Chicagophotoshop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chicagophotoshop.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
the first one I think I finally got right. second one was my first try and keeping the shutter open. something messed up in the middle of the photo. not sure how to fix it. but ok for a first try.

my settings for the first was ISO 400 f/9

DSC_0006_filtered.jpg

DSC_0017_filtered.jpg

Nice I like the traffic lights in the 2nd one

Very nice....I'm still learning my way around Chicago...is that North Michigan Ave?

yes. the first pic I am standing on the Michigan ave bridge looking west. the second is looking north on michigan ave at the bridge.

if you keep walking north, you hit all the shopping.

how do you get that effect with the traffic lights its really cool! Sorry im not that bright with my camera still.

Cheers

Stu

long exposures usually do that to the lights. u can also buy a filter which has the same effect

how do you get that effect with the traffic lights its really cool! Sorry im not that bright with my camera still.

Cheers

Stu

shutter was open for 4 seconds. but thats a long time, you need to make sure you have the correct manual settings. mine were f/22 iso was low 400-800 cant remember exactly. it was my first time so I have to try different combinations of ISO/aperture.

and a tripod is a MUST.

shutter was open for 4 seconds. but thats a long time, you need to make sure you have the correct manual settings. mine were f/22 iso was low 400-800 cant remember exactly. it was my first time so I have to try different combinations of ISO/aperture.

and a tripod is a MUST.

When I do night shots, I always do the lowest ISO possible...I'd much rather not have the grain. And I close the aperture down pretty far, and put it on a looooong exposure.

...but that's my personal preference. :p

So setting it for a long shutter time gave you that awesome tail light trail of the passing cars?

The light trails of the cars, are, indeed, created by a long exposure time, and the star effect of the lights is created by a small aperture.

Now some here use compact digital cameras which are limited in their manual settings, like my Powershot only goes down to f8 as its smallest aperture, and down to 15 seconds as its longest exposure. But that will still do a good job on the nighttime photos, provided I do go down to f8.

Since one thing is untrue that has been said in the comments before: it is not the long exposures alone that creates these star-effects in stationary lights, it is the small aperture. A large aperture will make lights show as big, bright blobs.

nice shots !! Its good to see a fellow night shooter !!!!

cool just the people i was wanting to talk to...i made another post about this earlier. im only starting out but night time photography really interests me...this photographer is interesting me at the moment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rut_Blees_Luxemburg...

Im just a beginner but that phot of your in Chicago is exactly the type of thin im going for..I know a bit about exposure but at still not sure what iso is but i aim to find out. If i want to emulate the type of photos your doing but am only starting out..what camera would you suggest would be good for introductory level. See with so many out there its confusing especially with the plethora of digital models!! Basically i want to experiment with night time exposure and the like..well also daytime too. Whaee do i begin. im thinking of starting some photography class aswell...

Most reactions

Back