Few photos for your judgements!!

jemstone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all
Heres 4 pics that Ive taken in my first 2 weeks of picking up a camera :)
Theyve had very basic Lightroom editing - literally just a click to change to a preset. Theres a couple of landscapes, a portrait of my autistic brother and a close up.
Comments and advice please :)
;)

Attachments

• $DSC_0170.jpg
    $DSC_0170.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 151
  • $DSC_0242.jpg
    $DSC_0242.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
  • $DSC_0284 2.jpg
    $DSC_0284 2.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 144
  • $DSC_0234.jpg
    $DSC_0234.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
All good shots. I dont like the vignette on #1 though.

Thanks guys

The 4th I've just realised was the wrong pic. That pic has not been edited yet.
Halo? Lol really! Scary shizzle as it ain't been touched... :-s

Aaah frig, it's the one my fella was playin around with... Sorry

What do you think about the actual shot and where things are placed?

IMO, these are just snapshots with a good attempt on the part of the photographer to be artfully composed.
But they really, really hurt by the poor technical qualities which stand in the way of any real critique.

1. The image is taken away by the harsh vignette and the b&w conversion by LR did an adequate job. I have seen a lot of people resort to b&w conversion due to the colors being terrible due to the settings when taken and I think this picture would be extremely dull without the attempted effects.

2. I do like the artistic approach but i'm not sure what I should be focusing on. I think if you got a little lower and capture more of the building in the background, that would have helped out quite a bit. Maybe some cropping. And I do not like much grain in photo's if at all. Just my opinion.

3. I like the lighting and feel of the image.

4. Little boy in blue is either little baby Jesus or some adjustments need to be looked at again. If you are using LR, maybe utilize the brush adjustment on the specific subjects instead of the whole image. And crop the bird out of there. I keep wanting to know what kind it is. (probably a witch on a broomstick). Also, the post with the arrows is distracting.

#3 strikes me as pretty good. It looks like it got hit with some sort of "vintage photo" preset, which is unfortunate, although the desaturation does appear to work ok.

It's good basically because it's simple, the background is present but very much suppressed, so you get a sense of place without it being obtrusive. The subject is tolerably well placed, a bit off center and turned slightly to face across the frame. Most important, the subject is interesting. He's got a fine ambiguous expression, and appears to be looking at something out of frame. This is the sort of image that raises questions, that causes us to speculate about the subject, and to impose on the image our own stories, our own ideas about what might be going on.

The lack of clutter makes us focus on the important and interesting things. The interesting and ambiguous subject holds our attention long enough to start us wondering and thinking and building a little narrative to fill in what we don't know.

Be careful with your "instagram" effects. Having a vintage look to photos can ad a lot to them. Unfortunately what I personally see (on a near daily basis) are simple photos that lack composition or subject. New photographers tend to use heavy processing techniques in order to compensate and make the photo appear more interesting. You may get many facebook likes for photos such as these, but when your trying to get critiques from a photo community, we're a bit more nit-picky.

All I can suggest is to work on your composition and shoot more interesting subjects. Tone down the editing, and let the image be an image.

Hi all,
I am new to this forum.. first entry here and am just waiting to hear what the photography population thinks of my photos... Gosh I don't even know where to begin on this forum.. I just got done reading part of Exposed by Jasmine Star.. and was just inspired to join a forum. So here goes....
my website is ginamanzeck.com (Now, I know I am not here to hear nice things necessarily.. but... I just put my website together.. and am still working on it... It is so much work- but I love it!

Thanks much, I appreciate any feedback I can get. I am a stay at home mommy of 2 and am so inspired by photography.. it's my passion, my dream and my 4 love behind God, my husband and kiddos...

Blessings!

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am new to this forum.. first entry here and am just waiting to hear what the photography population thinks of my photos... Gosh I don't even know where to begin on this forum.. I just got done reading part of Exposed by Jasmine Star.. and was just inspired to join a forum. So here goes....
my website is ginamanzeck.com (Now, I know I am not here to hear nice things necessarily.. but... I just put my website together.. and am still working on it... It is so much work- but I love it!

Thanks much, I appreciate any feedback I can get. I am a stay at home mommy of 2 and am so inspired by photography.. it's my passion, my dream and my 4 love behind God, my husband and kiddos...

Blessings!
Usually you start getting feedback by posting your photos in a thread of your own and/or introducing yourself in your own thread, instead of someone else's.

The child sitting on the bench may have been exposed to too much radiation.

Most reactions

Back