Few questions...

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't post a lot but I spend a lot of time reading on here. I will apologize in advance in case my questions are too simplistic. I can wrap my head around complex concepts but I have serious issues sometimes getting simple ideas to make sense. I'm not trying to say that any of this is simplistic because I know that there is a lot of work that goes into all of this, just that if the answers are simple I may still try to clarify because I'm me. Thanks in advance.

I have asked for the book Understanding Exposure for Christmas because I have heard it reccomended so many times. I am wondering if it has any information on lighting in it? Does anyone know of a good site that will walk me through learning about lighting? I am curious about all of it as I don't really know much.

What would you reccomend as a good starting place when one decides to step into the world of lighting?

Just found some info on Stobist.. Still reading...

What do you take into consideration when you are purchasing lighting? (Flashes and off camera)

Are there any brands that you specifically stay away from? (Common but known for not being "good")

Another question, Is there any impact on the quality of photos dependant on if you are using a cable release vs. a remote? I'm not particularly familiar with either but I keep reading about them and thought that I would ask.

Last edited:
Understanding Exposure is an excellent choice. He doesn't cover lighting specifically in there. Most people here will refer you to Stobist.com. They have some tutorials there that are supposed to be good.

I would suggest you stay with an external flash of the same make as your camera so that you will get full capability of the auto flash features.

You might want to browse through shootsmarter.com. I would take into consideration how mobile would they be if needed, ease of use (cause lighting can be a butt at first), and of course price. I think that you pretty much get what you pay for and on the other hand I have seen some great images made off of some cheesy setups too. I would talk to you r local pro photo equipment suppler and get their option and then look for it online and save a ton! good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back