Fieldcraft for rookie birder- basic question....

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I saw a bald eagle today (which I did!) in a tree by a highway, can I presume that this is a possible haunt for the big guy? Pulled over and shot him thru dirty windshield. but rolling down window spooked him.

If yes, might I have a chance at success going back tomorrow just before sunrise and parking, using my car as a blind, and waiting to see what happens?

Thanks for any hints/tips/etc.
eagle_zpsyi0c8bd3.jpg

Neat

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My initial research is suggesting that if he's a resident eagle, then this MIGHT be a spot he prefers, but if he's here merely for the winter, no patterns should be expected.

I suppose nothing ventured nothing gained, I'm going out tomorrow AM to see what does or does not happen.

What I would suggest is park your car at least a couple of hundred feet away. Wear clothing close to the colour of the trees/brush/ground cover you intend on hiding/blending with and wait.
Sometimes shooting from a car can work but I've had limited success with this approach.

If I saw a bald eagle today (which I did!) in a tree by a highway, can I presume that this is a possible haunt for the big guy? Pulled over and shot him thru dirty windshield. but rolling down window spooked him.

If yes, might I have a chance at success going back tomorrow just before sunrise and parking, using my car as a blind, and waiting to see what happens?

OK, some hints for that next bald eagle shot
'slowly' roll down the window and get a longer lens !

24395826379_578971d444_b.jpg

(with original 100-400)

[/QUOTE](with original 100-400)[/QUOTE]

Oh, the one they say isn't sharp? HA!!! :)

(with original 100-400)[/QUOTE]

Oh, the one they say isn't sharp? HA!!! :)[/QUOTE]

"they" - the vast birding conspiracy - HA !!

24392761883_dbf5d06af0_b.jpg

100-400 original

OK, some hints for that next bald eagle shot
'slowly' roll down the window and get a longer lens !

24395826379_578971d444_b.jpg

(with original 100-400)
Yeah, gonna KEEP the window down so no variables change if I get a guest.

Most likely he was just resting there for a while. Unless there is a good food source near by.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back