Figuring out exactly camera processing for jpg

zedin

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have sort of a technical question. I often shoot raw but like the simplicity of shooting jpg. While I do often batch convert photos after taking them I was wondering if anyone knew how I might figure out the 'numbers' or adjustments my camera makes while processing the raws (since stupid d70s only saves crappy jpgs with raws). I have the older nikon capture as well as acdsee.

I guess one thing to see as well.. if I shoot raw does it still 'process' my raw file so that when I load it into Capture all the 'in camera' choices for sharpness, color, etc are loaded in the Capture options? Or is it a completely blank slate where I need to figure out which settings with the software equal the settings of in camera processing. It would just be soo much easier if I could figure out the settings and just batch them and only have to go back and tweak any problem photos.

I had this same issue and while the default settings in the camera are the default settings in nikon capture (wb, colour, contrast curve etc) no sharpening and no noise reduction is done in the nikon capture. And as far as I have played with, Nikon capture 4.4 has not achieved the same NR quality as I have with the camera. Nikon capture NX may be different.

If you like the jpgs, then shoot jpg. I personally don't try and make my raw files look like what the camera would spit out. I know I can make them better, and I do. If I want to batch, I work on one photo, and apply the settings to all that were photographed under the same light.

The camera makes NO adjustments to the raw image. It is what the sensor gets.

Your raw processor software does not change the raw image but modifies it for viewing with a set of default changes that you or the software manufacturer decided on.

These settings can be changed when you view the image, can be saved with the unchanged original raw file for refernce and be used to create the jpg.

photoshop is able to process the RAW automatically for you if you like their quality....and you can batch process as well

but if you are concern about quality......i would recommend you go through them one by one.......somehow....when i use nikon capture NX......the result i get from batch is different from individual tweak.......very strange.....say for auto white balance..... i would get a better white balance adjustment when i do each picture individually......but that is capture NX...not sure how photoshop behaves.......i just like the auto white balance of capture NX better when processing RAW

canon's software allows you to process the RAW for output as a jpg using the Camera's parameters. Not sure about nikons.

Most reactions

Back