Fill Flashes.

caroline3746

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon d40 and Im looking for a extended flash, Im not really sure what to be looking for, I take outside portraits so I want something to help reduce shadows,

The D40 is a super camera for flash work outdoors, since it has a very high maximum flash synchronization speed. The more flash power, the better. The recently discontinued Nikon SB 800 is a fine flash, as is the SB 900 that took its place. Either of those would be my first choice. Following those two models, the SB 600 would be the next choice.

+1. I really like the 900 but the price is pretty high, and it's almost as big as the D40! A used 800 or new/used 600 as suggested would be great too.

I would say that for outdoor portraiture a speedlight on the camera's hot shoe is the least desireable option.

Shadows on the facial mask promote interest and drama.

For fill all you need is a reflector.

Frankly, if shadows are a problem you're likely choosing bad locations or aren't getting your subjects out of the direct sunlight, which is a bad place for them to be if you want to make nice portaits of them. Dappled sunlight is almost as bad.

If you still want them out in the direct sunlight you can get a diffuser up above them to soften the shadows while using a reflector or off camera speedlighting to produce modeling shadows on the facial mask.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back