Film chemistry

WB8588

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Maybe you guys can help me. I'm looking to order the chemistry to develop c41. B&H doesn't seem to ship chemicals. My local camera shop only has B&W. Where do you guys get your chemicals?

Maybe you guys can help me. I'm looking to order the chemistry to develop c41. B&H doesn't seem to ship chemicals. My local camera shop only has B&W. Where do you guys get your chemicals?

I get the powder stuff off Amazon, it can ship. I dislike the powder because you should wear a proper dust mask and you have to stir the crap out of it to get it to dissolve. Other than that, it's fine. It can develop around 12 rolls with good results. I have read 20 or 30 rolls and that is total crap. I have tested it twice and it seems to color shift at the 13th roll. I use plastic 1 litre soft drink bottles to store chemicals in. I wait to I have 12 rolls shot before I develop because the stuff goes bad fairly quick.

I usually get the Unicolor powder kit but it is currently unavailable on Amazon.

I used this one prior with good results and it was simpler.
https://www.amazon.com/Cinestill-Si...per+Kit+(1+Liter)&qid=1572108050&sr=8-1-fkmr1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
jcdeboever said:
I get the powder stuff off Amazon, it can ship. I dislike the powder because you should wear a proper dust mask and you have to stir the crap out of it to get it to dissolve. Other than that, it's fine. It can develop around 12 rolls with good results. I have read 20 or 30 rolls and that is total crap. I have tested it twice and it seems to color shift at the 13th roll. I use plastic 1 litre soft drink bottles to store chemicals in. I wait to I have 12 rolls shot before I develop because the stuff goes bad fairly quick.

I usually get the Unicolor powder kit but it is currently unavailable on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Cinestill-Simplified-Powder-Developing-1000ml/dp/B07Q4Y8PQ4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=Ultrafine+Unicolor+C-41+Powder+35mm+/+120+Film+Home+Developer+Kit+(1+Liter)&qid=1572108050&sr=8-1-fkmr1

I also use Unicolor. I get mine from Freestyle Photo though. I usually get around 15-20 rolls out of mine. You just have to adjust your development time as you go. I do notice a slight color shift at the end, but it's not really a huge deal to me since you can fix it when you scan. Of course, if you're more comfortable sticking to 12-ish rolls, that's perfectly fine, and tbh, the stuff's cheap enough, it's probably better to just get a fresh batch anyway.

I dunno exactly how long you mean when you say your chemicals are going bad quickly, but mine seem to last around 3-4 months after mixing. (i've read the same from other people using unicolor, but not so much from other brands, I only keep it that long because I don't shoot a whole lot of color) It's up to you, but I personally wouldn't use soft drink bottles. C41 chemicals don't like being in the light (of course if you're storing them in a pitch black environment, then that point's moot). I use the collapsable black plastic bottles made for photo chemicals. Collapse it to get as much air out as possible and keep it in a dark cool place and it'll last longer.

jcdeboever said:

https://www.amazon.com/Cinestill-Simplified-Powder-Developing-1000ml/dp/B07Q4Y8PQ4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=Ultrafine+Unicolor+C-41+Powder+35mm+/+120+Film+Home+Developer+Kit+(1+Liter)&qid=1572108050&sr=8-1-fkmr1

I also use Unicolor. I get mine from Freestyle Photo though. I usually get around 15-20 rolls out of mine. You just have to adjust your development time as you go. I do notice a slight color shift at the end, but it's not really a huge deal to me since you can fix it when you scan. Of course, if you're more comfortable sticking to 12-ish rolls, that's perfectly fine, and tbh, the stuff's cheap enough, it's probably better to just get a fresh batch anyway.

I dunno exactly how long you mean when you say your chemicals are going bad quickly, but mine seem to last around 3-4 months after mixing. (i've read the same from other people using unicolor, but not so much from other brands, I only keep it that long because I don't shoot a whole lot of color) It's up to you, but I personally wouldn't use soft drink bottles. C41 chemicals don't like being in the light (of course if you're storing them in a pitch black environment, then that point's moot). I use the collapsable black plastic bottles made for photo chemicals. Collapse it to get as much air out as possible and keep it in a dark cool place and it'll last longer.

Yes, I store them in a tub. I don't know, I haven't had that kind of luck and I bump the dev time. I mean it's not a horrible shift on 13th roll but it irritates me, color is hard enough to scan. I have pushed it to 15 on one batch only because I had 15 rolls to develop. Wasn't very stoked from 13 to 15, me and the scanner weren't feeling that batch. I just shoot to twelve and do it in a a couple days.

Most reactions

Back