Film Dead

"Film Dead" - ufocus

Interestingly, more B&W film was sold last year (2002) than any other year in the history of film [Source: NYIP]

Funny that - we were told the introduction of colour would put an end to B&W

But, then again, they said TV would put an end to cinema

And they said computers would see the demise of books

Dunno who "they" actually are, but "they" got it seriously wrong - all those industries have grown and thrived

Now...what was your question (???)

:)

e_

e_ said:

"Film Dead" - ufocus

Interestingly, more B&W film was sold last year (2002) than any other year in the history of film [Source: NYIP]

Funny that - we were told the introduction of colour would put an end to B&W

But, then again, they said TV would put an end to cinema

And they said computers would see the demise of books

Dunno who "they" actually are, but "they" got it seriously wrong - all those industries have grown and thrived

Now...what was your question (???)

e_

I can see B&W having it's place.. since not much can compare wih it for portraits and developing.

but with the outsource cost of B&W developing the actual cost of film, i think most people are leaning towards digital now for home users.

I'm sure pro's will keep with film since most pro's are boomers and aren't tech savy all that much.

But with new emerging photographers using digital for their work.. how can film really compete with that?

lol, John - true!

Actually, ufocus, many pros have switched to digital or are in the process of doing so and most schools of photography now teach digital as a matter of course

I use both in my work and don't see it as a matter of film "competing" with digital - they are different things

This film v digital debate has raged for years, it's silly

The question was: "(is) film dead"

A lot of photographers (myself included) who embraced digital in the earlier years are now reverting to manual SLR and medium format cameras for their personal work and are 'rediscovering' the joy of controlling the capture process

Is film dead?

No!

e_

EDIT: notwithstanding what i wrote, members looking for a reasoned essay on the advantages of using digital might find this useful

http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/like-it-is.shtml

if we were talking about aduio or video.... dvds are better than VHS!
cds are better than tapes...(not geting into reel to reel or LPs)

Film, is not dead at all. vhs is dead beacause dvd is better in every way. Film is still better in many ways.

I use bioth digital and film, but I do not use them for the same things. I do all my own work. I enjoy developing and printing my own pictures.. it is fun. I also like to be able to take a picture, put it on my laptop, edit it and use it in some kind of fine art or web site work.

I think it will be a LONG time till film is "dead" Digital will be used more and more, which is fine with me. I think there will be a point were film has become used less and less, and it will just be to much $$$.

A lot of photographers (myself included) who embraced digital in the earlier years are now reverting to manual SLR and medium format cameras for their personal work and are 'rediscovering' the joy of controlling the capture process

Very well said. That is my experience in a nutshell. I got an SLR for christmas because I asked for it. I took a lot of pics for a year that weren't very good. Then I purchased a 2 mp digicam. My composition improved because I was able to see the result right away. Fast forward 2 yrs and I rediscovered the joy... Recently I shot a roll of 120 on a TLR. Was my first experience and :shock: I've been pricing 4x5 cameras, but it will be a while before I take that leap.

There is no way film will ever be dead. :roll:

edited for :roll:

Film is not dead and won't die in my lifetime. As long as one company makes one kind of film, someone will buy it.

One more point. I can't afford the digital camera that will out-perform my Nikon.

So ... in my opinion there is still a place for film & a place for digital.

digital will never have the feeling of film. end of topic.
:!:

md

Hi MD!
Does that mean you get off on handling film? How do you clean off the fingerprints or don't you make prints from film you've "handled"?
Just kidding, as Enigma pointed out, digital will only replace film when it's better in every way and that's a long way off and even then there'll probably be a niche market for it, if only with people like MD.

John A said:
One more point. I can't afford the digital camera that will out-perform my Nikon.

So ... in my opinion there is still a place for film & a place for digital.

BUT.. with all the cost of developing and wasted shots you could sell your SLR and buy a new digicam

voodoocat said:

Very well said. That is my experience in a nutshell. I got an SLR for christmas because I asked for it. I took a lot of pics for a year that weren't very good. Then I purchased a 2 mp digicam. My composition improved because I was able to see the result right away. Fast forward 2 yrs and I rediscovered the joy... Recently I shot a roll of 120 on a TLR. Was my first experience and :shock: I've been pricing 4x5 cameras, but it will be a while before I take that leap.

There is no way film will ever be dead. :roll:

edited for :roll:

I found that as well.. that digital has become a great way to learn colour and composition.. because you can take up to 1000 pics and pay nothing for a days shoot. And you see your results instantly.

However, if you don't log your shots, you might never know how you got a great slr shot.

But with me.. taking pics and putting them on the net.. nothing beats digi cam ... the cost is nothing and the delivery is instant.

And with the right camera.. didgital slr's at 11 mp is competing.. especially in the profesional market where the image ends up being mastered digitally anyway.. or for paparatzi where the image must be distributed as soon as it's taken.

The only thing that film seems to be holding is exhibition work, classical.. wedding (yuck) and some other small areas.

Even reuters is going digital

well, im not really authorized or in a position to speak on this matter (im just an amateur) ... but i can tell u what i think ... my hubby and i have discussed this matter alot ... he told me, the amount of time it took me to learn this digital camera, it would have taken me months on a film." ... reason being, i can see my results right away, if the lighting is off, i can change it .. since this is new to me ....

i may have one good shot out of 10 ... but to just be headed in the wrong direction for the entire roll of film ... i probably would have given up :? .. with digital, i can see my results right away, do test shots, check it, consult with a more experienced photographer and they can show me a better result and act more swiftly.... so i can take more risks ...

my experience with my digital cam :)

*not to mention my hubby said my "hobby" would be too expensive if he had to buy film :p "

I shot 35 mm for years and never really improved. I have had my Sony digital for about a year now and I can see improvement in my shots in even the short time since spring. I'm now thinking about putting what I have learned back into film media. Maybe even with my 120 roll film twin lens reflex. I don't think I will be wasting as much film now. Digital and film both have a place in photography and always will.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back