Film Effect

Ohio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to get this effect on my film. It is supposed to come out something like this:

156.jpg

Is this possible just by opening the door a little to expose the film a little? Or will that overexpose the whole film?

Maybe something red in front of the lens...or maybe something weird with the development chemicals. :?

I'm guessing you'll overexpose the whole frame that way since film is way sensative to light. Might be something you need to do in the darkroom.

You could try some gells in front of the lens. It will give you much better control of the exposure then trying to open the door. Cokin makes some accessories that make using gells easy.

It looks like a chemistry/development problem to me. There appear to be no cyan or yellow colour couplers formed in the magenta bit.
Fogging the film would still have produced these.
Not impossible to duplicate but very difficult. It would take quite a while to do it and probably be expensive.
Filters over the lens wouldn't produce the same effect either.
The best way would be to get it into PS and then fiddle with the three colour layers using seperate masks. The colour layers mimic the tri-pack structure of colour film so you should, with a bit of thought and experiment, be able to reproduce the effect exactly.

*edit* Giving it a second look there appears to be some yellow forming in there too. It would appear that it is mainly the cyan layer that has gone West.

The person who shot this picture tells me he did it only by opening the door a tiny bit.

I find that difficult to believe, but strange things have been known to happen in Photography..
If you fogged the film - which is what happens when you open the back and let light in - you would find exposure variations as well as colour variations.
The bits where the colour has changed would presumably be the bit that got fogged.
If it's colour neg then you would have the exposure plus the fogging which would make the neg denser on that part and therefore it would print lighter.
It seems to print pretty much the same as the normal bit.
You would also expect to get at least some cyan in there from the original exposure but there appears to be absolutely none.
To tell you for certain I would need to see the actual neg.
If you want to duplicate it I would still recommend the Photoshop route. You could waste an awful lot of film without getting anywhere near that effect again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back