film negative scanner

drex578

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this isn't exactly "darkroom" but I was wondering about the film scanners. I recently bought a Diana F+ and I+m considering just buying a film scanner to "develop" the pictures I took. Is that how it works? Or do I still have to do something specific to the film before being able to scan them. I don't know how to develop film so I was thinking this would be easier and cheaper than taking it somewhere to be developed.

I wouldn't bother with a film scanner, sending them to a real lab like NCPS, Indie Film Lab, or Richard Photo Lab would most likely look better.

I wouldn't bother with a film scanner, sending them to a real lab like NCPS, Indie Film Lab, or Richard Photo Lab would most likely look better.

If you've got a lot of money to burn on a hobby, that's fine, but for most folks a film scanner will be more realistic. Personally, I prefer to scan myself because I have complete control over how the scan looks, highlights, shadows, etc...

To the original question... a scanner doesn't 'develop' the film, it scans negatives into your computer that have already been developed. If you have a scanner, you can ask a lab to have your film developed only (no prints) and scan them when you get home. It's usually cheaper this way. I see that you're in Peru, but here in Los Angeles, the difference between develop only and develop with prints is around 7 or 8 dollars (roughly) per roll.

Oh, so I still have to have it developed! I guess i'll get the scanner anyway so I can have the pictures in my computer as well!! Thanks!

drex578 said:
Oh, so I still have to have it developed! I guess i'll get the scanner anyway so I can have the pictures in my computer as well!! Thanks!

Developing black and white film yourself is very easy and much cheaper then having it developed (25 cents a roll). You dont need a darkroom just a changing bag.

Most reactions

Back