film puller not working.

darry85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I just bought one of those plastic film pullers to pull out the leader on the film. At first I was doing it with an old piece of film that I got wet and it worked ok. I have a roll of film that I just shot that I tried to get the film out of for over an hour with the old piece of film. I broke down and bought one of the fancy plastic film pullers and I still can't get it out after trying for 15 minutes. I thought maybe it was the roll, but I tried it on another roll and the other roll won't come out either. I'm following the instructions on the package and I watched a few Youtube videos on how to use the film picker to no avail.

Are some rolls just stuck? I'd rather not have to use a bottle opener as that proves to be a bigger headache for me having the film roll up and be difficult to get onto the reel and having to cut the leader off in the dark.

Thanks for any insight.

Are you turning ('rewinding') the spool? Listening for clicks? Winding the film back, then closing the retriever? Are you inserting the retriever into the correct end of the slot?

I am turning the spool and listening for clicks. I've tried turning the spool in the opposite direction a few times after hearing the clicks and that didn't work either. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the correct end of the slot. I thought it only went in one way.

You 'reverse' the winding after just one click. The second click is when the leaders slips out of the retriever.

Film leaders are half the width of the film. You need to insert the retriever into the canister at the end of the slot that's towards where the spool extends from the canister.

I just tried all that to no avail. I wonder if I've now done it too many times.

I've only used the metal type and they've always worked.

Metal is all I've ever used.

images

Never even knew plastic ones existed.

I just work my thumb into the film slot then peel back the metal canister. Then I fold the leader over and insert into the reel clip. Easy-Pezy ... never leave home without a thumb.

I just work my thumb into the film slot then peel back the metal canister. Then I fold the leader over and insert into the reel clip. Easy-Pezy ... never leave home without a thumb.

Who says the OP is wanting to remove the film to develop it?

Who says the OP is wanting to remove the film to develop it?
Because of the OP’s second paragraph referencing a can opener and a reel. Typically, when one associates film removal and a reel, it is for development purposes.

I have shot part of a roll, then accidentally rewound it fully into the cartridge.
In that case I popped the cartridge and if necessary, move the spool+film into another cartridge.
Back then I did not know film pullers existed.

What kind of puller you got ?
film puller - Google Search

I've used numerous types and they work most of the time.

I bought this one. https://www.amazon.com/Leader-Retri...F8&qid=1527685733&sr=8-1&keywords=film+puller

I had the little metal type and lost it and I went to buy another one, but couldn't find one anywhere. The type in the link were the only type I could find.

I am developing the film myself in a patterson tank.

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the puller I got.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I recall trying a plastic one once and it didn't work so I threw it away.

UPDATE:

I just shot 2 rolls today and i used the plastic film picker and it worked beautifully on both rolls! Im not sure what happened with the other roll. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back