Film Q's - X-ray, freezing, 1-hour, etc.

Jess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
So I was browsing some back posts and instead of bumping them up thought I'd post my leftover questions fresh.

Will airport x-ray's have an effect on developed negatives?

I understand that refrigeration can extend the life of film, freezing apparently even more so.... Freezing doesn't make the film brittle? I would have thought it does.

If you had to choose between 1-hour and a few days send away lab, which would you choose - Regarding quality? (Anyone is Sacramento, CA area know of reasonable priced camera shops that develope? Action Camera looked pretty expensive.)

Should I assume that unless the devolper that I'm using expressly indicates they do B&W that I should avoid developing any B&W w/ them?

Ok, I think that's my slew of Questions :) I'm about 1/2 way through my first SLR roll, lol. Wanna be prepared and I've had some really bad experiences with 1-hour photos and even a local Ritz Camera developer.

1... I wouldn't say xrays would have an effect of developed negs... But not sure..

2. Can't help, sorry.

3. It would depend on who it was sent to... If it was sent to kodak for example - it would probably be good quality. However, if you send it to one of the cheap places, it is likely they don't do colour corrections or anything on them, and therefore your photos could look terrible. (also, you might not have a choice between matte/gloss, etc.) Ask 1-hr places if they do colour corrections.

4. Ask them if they only process C-41. If they say yes, they only process C-41 - then don't give them your traditional b&w films... (However, some b&w consumer films are c-41 -- it will say on the film what chemicals to process it in.

(You can have bad experiences with everyone... These days most stuff is done by machines... Machines break, trust me. Most good stores will offer you some sort of compensation, whether it be a free roll & processing... or whatever... but just remember everyone can have a problem - its just the way they handle it.)

1. Yes, it is possible for the security scan to fog your film. You can request a hand inspection of film if it concerns you. Normally it doesn't affect film with an iso of 400 or less.

2. Yes, freezing does make the film brittle. Whether you refrigerate or freeze, leave the film in it's airtight container until brough to room temperature. This will avoid condensation build up.

3. No, don't assume anything when it comes to getting your film developed and printed. Ask specifically if your developer handles black and white (the process required us usually printed on the film canister) or sends it out. Decide from there.

4. Once you find a lab your happy with, whether one hour or a few days, stick with them. Once you're a "regular" they will be more apt to go the extra mile for you. As far as quality is concerned, "back in the old days" there was a big difference between developers - some where good, some where fast. While you still want archival quality, the differences are disappearing.

Good Luck!

I don't think that airport x-rays will have much effect on developed negatives. Undeveloped film may get fogged but as said, it's usually only faster film.

A lot of places that only do C-41 developing will accept your b&w film and just send it out to get done. You might be better off dealing directly with the b&w developer but there is nothing wrong with your local lab sending it out.

As mentioned, find a good lab and get to know them. Even if it's a place that offers one hour service...you don't have to get your photos done that fast. I usually choose the 3 or 5 day service, so that they have time to spend printing my photos well.

When I worked for Fuji Film Canada they sent bulk rolls of Graphic Arts film over frozen for us to cut here. Freezing will not hurt but be carefull warming it up. You really don't want moisture forming on the film. Keep it in the canister until it is room temperature. I keep all my film in the bottom of the fridge, exposed or un-exposed.

When it comes to labs I only deal with services they provide in house. If they have to send your b/w film out then it will more then likely go to a bulk lab and I have yet to see a bulk lab that cares about anything except production goals.

As far as labs go you want to find a good person that can print. Most labs these days hire part timers and usually one full timer. Find a person that prints the way you like and request only them. As a long time printer the first thing I had to do was adjust to personal preferences of are good customers. Some customers liked their prints lighter while I liked mine with a little extra density and warmer. Just because a lab charges $15 for developing that does not quaranty your images will look the best they can. Take your reprints to three different stores and I bet you get three different looking tones and densities.

I also recommend not taking your rolls in on Monday or right after holidays as it is very busy with rolls from the weekend and your work will be pushed through. 3-5 day service doesn't matter if the lab is busy in the summer they will still be pumping it out just to keep up and have the film ready for a deadline. As well, five day work is usually done by less experienced people in the evening after the express stuff is done. The lighter the work load the better I printed as I had time to slow down and evaluate each image. When Iwas really busy it took me less then 20 seconds to print a 24 exposure roll. That is not a lot of time per image.

Now I sit back in a call centre trouble shooting, training and checking quality control. Not as much fun as printing but the pay is 100% better.

Hope that helps,

Eric CPC SPFE

I agree with regards to getting it for a few days... Doesn't make any difference...

Because the chances are - that when it is done, it is done between 1-hours, and therefore - it still has to be pushed through to keep up...

You will never ever get the same print from two different printers... especially not different machines...

You do have the right to ask for them to be re-done.. But be polite.. They don't know what you wanted it to look like - and if you aren't happy, go back and explain what sort of day it was, and what you would like it to look like... (Don't just go back and say - i'm not happy, i want this re-done.. Because they dont know what you want it to look like!)

and i agree not to go in busy times... go at the quietest time possible.. (here in australia, when we have 15% off at work, we open later on a friday night... however no one knows this - and it is dead between 6-9pm... come in then! and if you're not in australia - look out for sales like that - and ask the store if they open for longer)

Thank you. You all have been very helpful.

I finally got in to the other two camera places in the area I'd found in the phone book and realize I have much more to choose from than I thought I did if I want really good prints. I didn't check their prices, but these look like very nice developing places, centered around the local college of course.

Anyway, thanx again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back