Film Recommendations

drhall762

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am making a return to film photography after way too many years. The more I look, the more it seems I got left by the wayside. Kodak seems to be out of the color slide film/developing game. I used to enjoy developing my own color slides. Many of the Kodak B&W films I remembered are gone.

The point of this is I need some recommendations. I shoot both 35mm and 120/220 roll film. What would be a good B&W film that may be around for a while? I see Kodak still has Tri-X. I am not stuck on Kodak but it is what I knew. I'd like the B&W film to something I can develop myself. I used to use HC-110 for film and DEKTOL for paper. HC-110 doesn't seem to be compatible with Tri-X so as I said I need recommendations.

The same is true of color slide and print film. More interested to know about the slide film first and if there is a printing system available like the old CIBACHROME. Anyway, that's where I am. Cleaning off the darkroom gear and hoping for a good light.

Thanks in advance and if this post would be better somewhere else, feel free to move it.

Dave,
It wasn’t that long ago I was still shooting film. I did enjoy shooting some B&W.

I have to say the Fugi Neopan is amazing. I shot 100 / 400/ and also some 800. They are all great. If you can slow it down to use the 100 it was Amazing. What I liked a lot about this line was if you had to shoot the same event / environment with different speeds they transitioned from one to another very nicely.

If you really want to try something different shoot a roll of Ilford Delta 3200. That stuff can be crazy fun. Super sensitive to light which opens up all kinds of possibilities (also a few headaches). This film tends to be very “grainy” but that can produce a great effect if that is what you are looking for. Almost a “classic” news print feel.

I am new here and still learning the rules so I did not post any links but I have ordered all of these films in the past over the internet and had great results. Just make sure you can find a good lab in your area to develop and print.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Thanks for the input. I'll be developing and printing B&W in house.

Dave, there is still plenty of film stuff around, just not in the store around the corner. The situation of b&w is better then color, but much is still available. Check website of Freestyle and you will see. Like this
Color Chemicals Color Slide | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
Freestyle is quite comprehensive, check them out, many of your questions maybe answered.

If you like Tri-X, then save some money and get Arista Premium 400 from Freestyle photo.. it's rebranded tri-x.
Search Results - Freestyle Photographic Supplies

I was never a huge fan of neopan 400, but I liked 1600, which is gone now sadly.. but regardless, it's all personal preference anyway.

Slide films are pretty limited these days but it's still around. It's more expensive than negative film though. Modern c41 films like Ektar 100 and the New Portras look pretty similar to slide film when scanned. Fuji 400H is one of my favorite color films too.

Personally, i'd try a few and see which you like best.

Bump!

Also looking for film recommendations.
Saturated colour - I believe Fuji Reala is best for this.
But I'm mainly looking for a good range of Mono film.

Am also looking for 120 film too. And a place to buy expired film. I'm from the UK so a good recommendation of where to get film would be good too.

Any Ilford films, Foma is good and cheap, i just got some free rolls of XP2 (C41) but i developed it in Rodinal and i love the results
Here's one, i'm going to be trying other B+W chemicals with it

Brian-and-Shirley-L.jpg

img615-L.jpg

Ilford is the BW I'm using at the moment. The only problem is, 7dayshop.co.uk doesn't stock them. How are Fuji BWs rated? Or better still, is there a better online source to buy film from?

No, I haven't tried Foma. Do you prefer it to Ilford? I'll probably give it a try, thanks.

If you like Tri-X, then save some money and get Arista Premium 400 from Freestyle photo.. it's rebranded tri-x.
Search Results - Freestyle Photographic Supplies

I was never a huge fan of neopan 400, but I liked 1600, which is gone now sadly.. but regardless, it's all personal preference anyway.

Slide films are pretty limited these days but it's still around. It's more expensive than negative film though. Modern c41 films like Ektar 100 and the New Portras look pretty similar to slide film when scanned. Fuji 400H is one of my favorite color films too.

Personally, i'd try a few and see which you like best.

Also Arista 100 is Plus X and the cheaper Arista is said to be Foma which is very good

Most reactions

New Topics

Back