35mm color and B&W film recommendations?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for some recommendations on 35mm film for color and B&W.

I'm currently using Fujifilm 200 film that I got at walmart recently, but I don't know how good it is. I can get Kodak Gold 200 at Target. I can get 400 and 800 also for both brands if I needed to. That's for color anyways.

For B&W film, I have no idea what to get or what to use. Recommendations and more information on this would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Ilford HP5 works well I think you can still buy Tri X Pan its just expired stock.

Kodak Ektar 100 was good for color film

another vote for ILford, hp5+, don't shoot color so I can't suggest anything

For color I've used Fuji 400H Pro.

For black and white I've used Fuji Neopan 400.

I've liked both quite a bit.

If you don't develop yourself and need to have it done locally I suggest you try C-41 B&W films like Kodak BW400CN Professional ISO 400 or Ilford XP-2 Super 400.

These can be developed by any regular 1hr photo lab.

For Color? Nothing wrong with any Fuji or Kodak offerings.

Just choose a Speed that works for the kind of light you like to work in.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree that Kodak BW400CN is a good choice; I also like the T-Max films from kodak as far as B&W is concerned.

I use Farbwelt from Kodak, which could be something like Gold or Ultramax I think, and especially like the pastel hues of the DIN 27 variant.

Ektar from Kodak is also very nice.

Fuji Superia DIN 24, 27 and 30 are all very good.

Agfa Vista DIN 24 is nice, although I find the colours are a bit subdued and this might not be for everyone. It is also available in DIN 27 but I haven't tried it myself.

Agfa APX DIN 21 is OK as far as B&W goes and Agfa Precisa is very nice if you want to try slide film (I find Kodak Elite Chrome a touch to warm).

Don't be put off trying non-branded films either. These are often very good. Looking on the box to see where it was made will give you an idea which maker is behind it: made in Japan = Agfa or Fuji, made in USA = Kodak, etc. The little plastic tubes that the films are in are very distinguishing and a dead giveaway on this point. It may not be the makers' best films, but at a few cents a roll they're worth trying out.

Looking for some recommendations on 35mm film for color and B&W.

I'm currently using Fujifilm 200 film that I got at walmart recently, but I don't know how good it is. I can get Kodak Gold 200 at Target. I can get 400 and 800 also for both brands if I needed to. That's for color anyways.

For B&W film, I have no idea what to get or what to use. Recommendations and more information on this would be really helpful.

Thanks.

I shoot film professionally...so learn from my experience!

Fuji Superia 200 is easily absolutely the worst color film i've ever seen or used in my life. by a long shot.

Kodak Gold isn't much better..it's better, but not by much.

The color neg films to shoot that make you go "wow, I really like film" are:

-Ektar 100
-Portra 160 and 400
-Fuji 400H (shot at around ISO 100)
-Ilford XP2/Kodak BW400CN

Need ISO 800 or 1600? push Portra 400.
Fuji 400H cross-contaminates beautifully and gives you perfect pastel tones.
Ektar 100 blows up contrast and color..incredible grain.
BW400CN blocks up blacks better than anything..LOVE IT.
I'd rather shoot XP2 over Tri-X or TMAX any day of the week..phenomenal skin tones.

If you're intending on scanning images..DON'T shoot real B&W..scans like sh*t compared to color neg B&W.
If you're intending on printing in a darkroom..DON'T shoot XP2 or BW400CN..they print like sh*t compared to real B&W.

The only real B&W film I ever shoot anymore is Delta 3200. And that's because it's grain is gorgeous and it can be shot with impunity between 400 and 1600.

The Superia 200 you picked up at walmart:
6798559269_725de41db8_z.jpg

Total crap film.

What Real film looks like....

Ektar 100:
7266121800_f129f40ac8_z.jpg

Fuji 400H:
7642267216_ffa05b0dd7_b.jpg

XP2:
7642267284_193e645a16_b.jpg

Portra 160:
7642253886_8271baeab6_b.jpg

Delta 3200:
7642253978_679f4b820d_b.jpg

Oh, and along with shooting real film...send it to a real lab like Richard Photo Lab. Otherwise your film is almost guaranteed to look like crap and you'll just keep faking it with digital.

Taken in January with Fuji Superia 200

imm020_4-1.jpg
imm011_13-2.jpg

imm019_5.jpg

These are the scans made by the lab, no editing except to resize them for posting. I find this film is quite nice.

"If you're intending on scanning images..DON'T shoot real B&W..scans like sh*t compared to color neg B&W."

I dont think so, Ilford Delta 400:

7565607258_a1149f980b_b.jpg

"If you're intending on scanning images..DON'T shoot real B&W..scans like sh*t compared to color neg B&W."

I dont think so, Ilford Delta 400:
Yeah, I haven't had any problems scanning negs from TMax 100 and 400 either.

GiGi_and_Ken_Summer_2009_MamiyaC330_Tmax400_Hflip.jpg

Canon40D_Mamiya_RB67_Tmax400-1.jpg

TireSwing_with_MamiyaC330_10-02-09.jpg

Sometimes too much advice is more damaging then too little. We are talking to film newbe . He should rather probe around what is available to him starting from some basic point and progress as his appetit for shooting film grows. He should gain his own experience rather, then listen to ours successes and pitfalls. We should discuss with him problems as he progresses in experience rather, then shout warnings beforehand. In film photography one thing is for sure, that if I can't do it it does not mean that you can't and vice versa.

Sometimes too much advice is more damaging then too little. We are talking to film newbe . He should rather probe around what is available to him starting from some basic point and progress as his appetit for shooting film grows. He should gain his own experience rather, then listen to ours successes and pitfalls. We should discuss with him problems as he progresses in experience rather, then shout warnings beforehand. In film photography one thing is for sure, that if I can't do it it does not mean that you can't and vice versa.

I agree 100%.

For B&W I keep going back to T-MAX 100. Color is usually something from Fuji.

Most reactions

Back