film sensor

bigpicture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I noticed that different dslr cameras have different size sensors, some larger, others smaller. Does a larger sensor provide better quality photos? If so, why?

Thanks
Bigpicture

All other factors being equal, larger formats will give better results. Cropped DSLRs will give superior results to point and shoots. Full frame DSLRs will give superior results to cropped DSLRs. Medium format digital or film will give superior results to any 35mm class SLR system. And large format (4x5" film) will give superior results to medium format, etc.

Because larger formats have more sensor or film area, they're not required to resolve as much detail per inch of sensor or film, and thus can give much sharper results.

That's right. As well, with digital sensors...one factor of quality is the amount of 'noise' in the image. Noise is a result of things like distortion in the signal and heat on the sensor.

Smaller sensors will build up more heat and have more distortion...which means that smaller sensors will often result in images with more noise...especially at high ISO settings.

That is why a typical digi-cam puts out noisy images at ISO 400 or 800. A modern DSLR will put out cleaner images at ISO 800 & 1600.

Hi,

I noticed that different dslr cameras have different size sensors, some larger, others smaller. Does a larger sensor provide better quality photos? If so, why?

Thanks
Bigpicture
Bigger sensors mean bigger pixels (for the same total pixel count). Bigger pixels mean less electrical noise.

Hi,

Thanks for your info on sensor size. Very helpful.

bigpicture

Bigger sensors mean bigger pixels (for the same total pixel count). Bigger pixels mean less electrical noise.
On the sensor...I believe you would call them photosites rather than pixels. A lower density of photosites will usually result in lower noise levels.

Most reactions

Back