Film vs. Digital - a comparison

jstuedle said:
To the degree that film has more latitude than most digital at this time, the contrast is a little better in some instances, others no difference. The nrw D2X has a broader digital dynamic range and I thing almost parallels film. As to color, I disagree. If you do a custom W.B. and get it right in the camera, digital is more true to life than film. Every film brand and type has its color shift and unique look. Digital can either be true, or mimic the look of any film produced today or yesterday. It all depends on your initial shot setup, your color calibration, and post process workflow. Admittedly, it can be more work than film, but the results can be stunning.

I was talking about the comparison you linked at the start of this thread only.

May as well toss in my two cents.

I learned with manual film and shot with that for a while (and when I was taking photography classes, I had access to a darkroom and just had to supply my own paper.

Then I was don't with taking photography classes and went to a different college and concentrated on painting. So I bummed my father's scanner and just had my neg's processed at a local photo store. As you can imagine, the price was getting out of had. Even with buying film rolls in bulk from ebay, it would still cost me $6 per roll to get the prints to scan in. About a year later and hundreds of dollars later, I realised I had to make a decision.

Either set up my own darkroom or go digital. At first I wanted my own darkroom, but then I counted the cost to set it up and then the cost of chemicals and paper. The cost was going to kill me in the long run. So I went digital.

I am definately a happy camper with that choice though. I can take tons of pictures without spending a penny. Delete the ones that suck, keep the good ones and if I want any prints/enlargements, I can order them via the internet. So I am in love with digital, but film will always have a special place in my heart. I still use my yashica rangefinder from time to time though.

I am definately a happy camper with that choice though. I can take tons of pictures without spending a penny. Delete the ones that suck, keep the good ones and if I want any prints/enlargements, I can order them via the internet. So I am in love with digital, but film will always have a special place in my heart. I still use my yashica rangefinder from time to time though.

Well said. Although I went digital sometime ago, I still keep a darkroom and enjoy keeping my fingers stained. I learned the hard way, manual camera, handheld light meter and processing my own B&W. I still think it's the best way to learn. Soon we may not have that opportunity. But digital I really believe gives up nothing to film, except it has a much longer learning curve and is much more user dependent on proper results.

jstuedle said:
Now if I can just figure why anyone would use a Canon! :D

Nikon is like Alabama (the university football team) - have to have "the best" of everything in order to make a half-baked effort at doing a good job. Canon is like Auburn - Alabama laughs at it as "hick" but still loses to it more often than not!

WAR EAGLE!

Sorry, the big game was this weekend and Auburn won - again - so I'm all into sports metaphors right now. (Plus I gotta bug Jeff).:p

LOL, I sort of thought Canon was sort of like the bully that keeps winning the little battles, but Nikon always wins the war. And don't most Canon users think of us Nikon users as the hicks? (don't you just love a little tweaking now and then?)

^haha

i actually think of nikon cameras as more refined. the high iso performance, fps, and other features of the 20d turned me to canon though. if the d200 was out earlier, my choice might have been different...so far i'm more than happy with canon :)

The full frame sensor makes the 5d and the 1ds mark II is nice. Not having to buy new lenses is a plus if your and exsisting canon shooter.

i agree with earlier posts on the impossibility of accurately comparing film to digital

they're two different beasts... why would you want to compare a shark vs. a lion? the lion would drown... the shark would suffocate...

same goes for food, i don't know about you, but i don't have a specific type of food i think is better than all the rest, and thus only eat that food all the time (although i do eat a lot of pizza)

reminds me of acoustic guitar vs. electric guitar debates :)

The full frame sensor makes the 5d and the 1ds mark II is nice. Not having to buy new lenses is a plus if your and exsisting canon shooter.

For me, FF is a non starter or non show-stopper as it were. I love my 400 f/3.5 looking like a 600 f/3.5. Both formats require specialized lenses for extreme wide angle shooting so to me full frame means nothing. I also enjoy the smaller sensor using the sweet spot of my full format lenses.

I have decided that any attempt to show film or digital to be better or worse is a waste of time. Any declared winner would be subject to the would'a, should'a, could'a comments and nobody would be pleased, swayed or convinced. I'll keep on keep'in on just the way I have been.

Typical Nikon user anwser. They dont have so I don't want it. LOL JK But when that 24mm in now a 40mm you have to get another lens if you want that wide angle. You can always get a teleconverter for more mm's but cant go the other way. Oh yea I thought that Nikon Glass was so much better than canon, so why are you worried about the sweet spot. Im just giving you a hard time, so dont think anything of it. The camera are verymuch alike. If you would put the DX2 vs the rebel you probably wount see a diffrence. Sorry couldn't resist one more jab.

That's OK, I've had my fair share of jabs too. (as he slinks away and hides up his rock)
BTW, that teleconverter costs you a stop or two. he he

icondigital said:
well sure they are!
it must be canon you are thinking about! :lmao:

Common you can do better that that.

Yea that is the problem with those teleconverters. I dont have a lens that not 2.8 or larger anymore and I would hate to be with out them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back