filter for beach photography

crazyjackphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

was looking for a 2-stop Graduated Neutral Density filter for some beach sunset . But not quite sure what is the 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9. Can anyone help me to gain more knowledge on this. Need to know which one is how many stops & what it means. Also is it neccessary to get the HT one, which is way more expensive.

would like to know too the difference between Graduated Neutral Density & ND filters.

your answer is much appreciated. Thansk!:D

I don't recall what the number relate to...but I'm sure some research could find that out.

We can't tell you which one you will need...it depends on the light that you are working with and the results that you want to get.

Graduated Neutral Density filters have a gradient...they are darker on one end and lighter on the other end. An ND filter is just neutral density and is the same all over (probably not what you are looking for).

A graduated neutral density filter is one where one half of the filter is dark, while the other one is clear. It's to help you expose the sky while you expose on a different subject.

A ND filter is a filter that darkens the entire pic, for oppurtunities to take long exposure photos in broad daylight, in example.

I believe that 0.3 is 1 f stop reduction, 0.6 is 2, and 0.9 is 3. Not positive though.

A graduated ND filter is Dark on the top and clear on the bottom, would be used for sunsets or other applications where one side of a picture needs light reduction, whereas a ND Filter does light reduction to the whole image which is useful for longer exposures in the middle of the day. Like on a waterfall for example, you can have a longer shutter speed so the water will blur some without over exposing the picture. Graduated ND Filters can be turned like a polarizing filter so you can choose your area to filter.

As for the stops, Wiki has a nice chart HERE (at the bottom). HERE is the page for Graduated ND Filters for you to read also.

Forgive the ignorance and I might be confused with something else but in your signature did you mean to put 580EX II?

LOL, no, not at all. I certainly did. Thank you for pointing out.

Keep in mind that a GND is something that can be pretty easily replicated in photoshop.

This thread made me decide to buy a set of GND filters. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=224448&highlight=GND

Keep in mind there are 2 kinds: hard and soft. Which basically explains how immediately it switches from the light part to the dark part. Hard being immediately and soft being a little more gradual.

Hard is good for places where the ocean or lakes meet the sky because its generally nice and straight.

Soft is good for anything else.

Look into getting a circular polarizer first. I use mine 20 times more than my set of GND filters.

Keep in mind that a GND is something that can be pretty easily replicated in photoshop.

This thread made me decide to buy a set of GND filters. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=224448&highlight=GND

Keep in mind there are 2 kinds: hard and soft. Which basically explains how immediately it switches from the light part to the dark part. Hard being immediately and soft being a little more gradual.

Hard is good for places where the ocean or lakes meet the sky because its generally nice and straight.

Soft is good for anything else.

Look into getting a circular polarizer first. I use mine 20 times more than my set of GND filters.

Now I get it! any more info on the circular polarizer? I'm a noob to filters

Dont try to use a polarized filter with polarized sunglasses.....your world could go completely black. 2 polarized filters at 90 degrees to eachother block out all light

Vince

Most reactions

Back