What's new

Filter help...

zdlux

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 19, 2011
Messages
18
Reaction score
4
Location
Aspen
I'm looking to buy my first couple filters and am wondering what filters are the "go to" filters that you never leave the house with. I shoot a lot of street portraits, performing arts, and some landscapes.
 
A circular polarizer is the most versatile. It allows you to filter out reflected light based on it's angle. This allows you to cut glare on water, balance diffuse highlights against specular, diminish reflected light in the sky to make it more blue, etc... For landscapes a neutral density filter is nice to have, so you can take long exposure shots in bright lighting.

Whenever you buy filters though, always get multicoated glass in a brass mount.
 
I very rarely use filters on camera. A circular polarizer is almost a must have. If you are interested in waterfalls and stuff a neutral density is nice, but I rarely remember to bring it ulness I actually PLAN to be at a waterfall.
A good UV filter is loved by some as lens proteciton and others hate putting a filter on for protection. I am one who does not like them for MOST things. When I am on vacation or shooting casually? yes, I am all for it. Shooting professionally? I remove them.

If you are a landscape kind of person a skylight filter is nice to have for the fall leaves and colors.

I apply the artistic filters in photoshop for the most part. Why? because if I have a client who says "do you have this shot without that effect?" I do.
I have a ton of filters that I never use. They just take up space. I thought I'd use them, but unless you are planning your shot and not working under any pressure there just isn't time to whip out a filter and use it.
I had thought they'd be awesome for weddings... Too much time pressure to flip around filters and crap.
I do sometimes use them if I am working on a personal project for portraits.
I probably would use them if I were shooting for personal art for a lot of things, but I just don't have the time to shoot for myself very often. Sad, but life gets the better of me!
 
I'm looking to use the mostly for personal use. I agree with you when you talk about working with clients and having a filter less shot.

I'm getting a polarized filter for sure and the natural density filter sounds like it could be nice.
 
That's "neutral density". It simply cuts the exposure by a certain number of stops, ideally without adding any color bias. There are also "graduated" ND filters which cut exposure over one of half of the image, more or less when you align the filter how you want it. This is very useful for landscapes when you are trying to bring the exposure of the sky and ground closer together. Graduated ND filters come in different exposure values and different gradients... whether you want a sharp gradient which is useful for a hard horizon like in an ocean sunset, or a soft gradient when you are shooting jagged mountain peaks.

I use a cheap Cokin P series without the holder. I either tape them to the lens with gaff tape, or hold them in place careful not to move the camera while taking the shot.

I have a few CPL's and I recommend not going cheap on them. You'll probably end up using it a lot and you don't want something that will degrade image quality. I have crappy one I got on vacation to replace one that I shattered and the piece of crap often falls apart in my hand when I'm rotating it. Unacceptable. I recommend B&W... B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated 66-044844 B&H
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom