Filter or protection

dslrchat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forums.dslrchat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I purchased my XTI and 2 lenses, I noticed both lenses have a "filter" on them.
Tiffen Haze 1
Are these actual filters (have any actual purpose) or just to protect the lens from dirt scratches etc.
Thanx

Combination of both.

Haze filters cut down on some of the "washed-out" look you get when shooting in bright sunlight. They also happen to be really cheap, and used a LOT, so they serve as a great thing to keep between your lens and whatever danger it might be exposed to.

Haze filters will often be used in conjunction with other filters as well.

Can someone elaborate on this "washed-out" effect?

Outdoors, at high altitudes (especially on snow/ice) or at sea or sea shore, either the UV-absorbing atmosphere is thinner or there's much reflection of UV.
The result may be a bluish cast or low contrast & hazy far objects.
A UV blocking filter would solve much of this problem.
Also, air-born particles (water, dust, smog) may scatter both UV and part of the visible spectrum.
To reduce this haze, a UV filter is not enough. A haze filter solves this better.
It blocks both UV and part of the violet-blue visible spectrum, therefore shifting the overall color balance a bit towards the warmer hues.
With black & white, a yellow, or orange, or even a red filter may be used for an even greater effect, more penetration through haze and dramatic dark sky & white clouds.
Red light penetrates better though air-born particles because its much longer wave length.
As it zig-zags less, it bumps into fewer particle on the way, and less of it is scattered.
In all other conditions, a UV or a weak haze filter has no effect, but can protect the lens.

Most reactions

Back