filter question

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So im investing in a new filter system for Film.
I had a Cokin Filter System with red, polarizing, and graduated ND filters
as well as some Hoya ND filters.
I got the Cokin filter system before i really knew what i was doing with photography. I liked it but i have no idea how good it is...
I liked the flexibility of the graduated ND filters,
however, i dont want to put cheap filters infront of my lens so my question is, is there a better system? Do i get Hoya or Nikon filters and just use those or are there other options?
I am on a budget and i dont really want to pay more the 50 dollars per filter I was paying between 30 and 45 for the Cokin filters.

i almost always shoot black and white with a Red filter and polarizer together
and color almost always with a polarizer

$50 is expensive for a filter. That is camera shop retail.

Most of mine are Tiffen. Picked 'em up for between $10-$25 at stores, online, and camera shows. No complaints on them...

I would stick with the cokin filters if that's what you already have. I use the cokin stuff and the only problem I've ever had with them is the fact that they get scratched up when their giggling about in those lousy little cases they come in. What I ended having to do is buying a tiny lens cloth for each filter so I could wrap them before putting them in the case.

I forgot to mention, all my gear was stolen
so im starting all anew

50 dollars is what im willing to shell out for retail store prices if i hear
that one system is better then the other. I'd look for it first on e-bay or
other places

...i dont want to put a piece of plastic
infront of an expensive lens.

The biggest problem with cheap filters is lens flares and this is more prenounced on transparent filters like UV filters. But if this is a non issue for you I would not invest in better filters.

I use Shing Ray GND filters but they are $100 each. There is another brad- Hi Tech - which has received great reviews and they are cheaper.
The Cokin grad filter is sold as a Gray Grad and it is not a true ND filter.
There is a debate among users whether it leaves a color cast or not. Another excellent brand is Lee. The trouble with Hoya and Tiffen is that I do not think they make a rectangle filter. If you use a screw on GND filter you do not have the positioning flexability that you get with the rectangle filters. However they do make a fine CLP filter.

A $50 limit is going to rule out some really good filters. I use the HiTech ND grads...available from B&H for US$62.50 each. They fit the Cokin P System holder but are far better than the Cokin grads.

hmmm, so what your saying is if i go with the Cokin P system, i am not limited to only Cokin filters, but also HiTech filters?
I'd shell out that much for a good quality filter...

Edit...
i just did some searching, it looks like the Cokin P size is what i want...
I had thought that only Cokin filters would fit that holder, but if thats not the case it seems like the best way to go.

$50 is expensive for a filter. That is camera shop retail.

Most of mine are Tiffen. Picked 'em up for between $10-$25 at stores, online, and camera shows. No complaints on them...

I'd like to know where you are getting Tiffen filters for $10-$25

Shing-Ray filters also fit the cokin P holder. Just remember that you need an adapter ring to fit each lens, the rings are not expensive.

yep, i got a Cokin P holder on ebay last night. Should fit up to 82mm or something. Came with a 52mm holder for my 50 mm.
and yes, i did shop at norms where they do bend you over with thier prices...not much worse then the bay area though

A $50 limit is going to rule out some really good filters. I use the HiTech ND grads...available from B&H for US$62.50 each. They fit the Cokin P System holder but are far better than the Cokin grads.

Make sure it is the Cokin "P" holder,they make 2 sizes, and I thought the P holder was 88mm but I could be wrong

Make sure it is the Cokin "P" holder,they make 2 sizes, and I thought the P holder was 88mm but I could be wrong

Maybe I should've emphasized the "P" in my post a bit more.

Cokin holders actually come in 4 sizes: A , P, Z-Pro, and X-Pro. The P Series filters are 84mm wide. IIRC, the HiTech filters I have are actually 85mm wide but will fit the P Series holder...if just a tad more snugly than the Cokin filters.

Most reactions

Back