CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I'm really getting into landscape photography. I wanna do stuff like this...

Patrick Smith Photography - Landscape Photography and Seascape Photography - Home

I just ordered a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and a new Manfrotto tripod, and now I need a good filter setup.

This guy works with a Cokin Z-Pro Filter holder, and a set of Lee ND Soft Grads. I am looking to get the same thing, or something almost as good that's cheaper.

I was thinking of these 2 items...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cokin-Filter-Holder-Z-Filters/dp/B0009WCFNO/ref=reg_hu-wl_list-recs]Amazon.com: Cokin Filter Holder for Z Series Filters: Camera & Photo[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Neutral-Density-Soft-Set/dp/B0001NMHK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238717293&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Lee 4 x 6" Neutral Density Graduated Soft Resin Filter Set (Graduate 0.3 ND Soft, 0.6 ND Soft, 0.9 ND Soft): Electronics[/ame]

What do you think? Should I go with these or get something else?

If you're using lenses with a filter diameter of 77mm or less, you don't need to go up to the 'Z' size, the 'P' will do just fine. Lee and Singh-Ray gels are without a doubt, top of the line, but I've always had good results with Cokin filters; the only issue of which I am aware is that they produce a red colour-cast if strong sunlight hits the filter directly, but for the cost saving over Lee/Singh-Ray, it's something I'm prepared to live with.

If you're using lenses with a filter diameter of 77mm or less, you don't need to go up to the 'Z' size, the 'P' will do just fine. Lee and Singh-Ray gels are without a doubt, top of the line, but I've always had good results with Cokin filters; the only issue of which I am aware is that they produce a red colour-cast if strong sunlight hits the filter directly, but for the cost saving over Lee/Singh-Ray, it's something I'm prepared to live with.

so, something like this?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cokin-ND-Graduated-Filter-Kit/dp/B001BKIK5A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238723826&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: Cokin ND Graduated Filter Kit P Series: Electronics[/ame]

can the filters stack ok without causing any issues? the lee setup would be around $300, and this is only $70, so im a bit skeptical.

Ok, now for the fly in the ointment. The one advantage of the Z holder is the abundance of filters in the 100mm X 100mm and 100mm X 150mm size that fits the Z holder. I am only aware of one other company that makes square filters in the P size.

My set up is the All Lee. Their holder is more expensive then the Cokin but while expensive, if you someday have a need or desire for a hood they have more choices. I think it comes down to how far you are planning on going with this and how much you are willing to spend.

i am willing to spend good money to make great landscape shots, possibly shots that i could even make prints with and sell at some point, to maybe recoup some of the costs. i think i might just go with my original plan of the cokin z holder and the lee filters.

Ok, now for the fly in the ointment. The one advantage of the Z holder is the abundance of filters in the 100mm X 100mm and 100mm X 150mm size that fits the Z holder. I am only aware of one other company that makes square filters in the P size.

Cokin P size filters are available from Cokin, Tiffen, Lee, HiTech & Singh-Ray.

I used both Cokin and Lee filters. I sometimes got horrible purple cast in the skies with the Cokin filters. Never happened with Lee filters. A cheaper alternative to Lee filters are Formatt/Hi-Tech filters. I used them interchangeably with the Lee filters and cannot tell the difference.

About stacking filters, the more filters you stack the greater the risk of flare if the light hits the filters directly or their edges. A good hood (or a shadow cast by your hand, body, cardboard...) should prevent that.

i just ordered the cokin pro-z holder and a 67mm adaptor ring for my new tamron 17-50. now just need to decide on filters.

the weird thing is, on formatt's website, their filter kit for the 3 ND grad's is like $89, but then on amazon ONE filter is like $200. wth?

the weird thing is, on formatt's website, their filter kit for the 3 ND grad's is like $89, but then on amazon ONE filter is like $200. wth?

It seems better to order from their website then!;) I ordered from their website before (I am in the UK) and did not have any problem with their service.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back