Filter with brass ring?

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see some photags with UV-filters on L-lenses, and the filters have a brass or gold-colored ring, not black. Which model of filter is this? I know that Heliopan puts brass rings on their filters, but the ones I see for sale are painted black.

First of all, dont bother buying a UV filter. If you insist, UV filter is one of those filter where you dont really put in and out of the lens. There is no reason to go brass. Brass filter is heavy, but it is durable and temperature doesnt make the ring expand or shrink so it doesnt get stuck. I suggest getting brass for like polarizer, ND filters where you exchanging it constantly. You dont want to be shooting a wedding with a ND filter stuck on the lens and have to shoot indoor.

I'm looking for something to protect the lens. "Cheap insurance" so to speak. Suggestions?

If you search around this form, you'll find lots of threads of people arguing about whether to use a filter or not... in the end it comes down to personal preference, there are reasons for and against. So do a search and see what you think, but if you do buy one don't cheap out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back