Filters and adaptor question

guitar guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I currently have four lenses and I would like to pick up a UV filter for general protection and a polarizing filter as well. I don't really want to have to get a different filter for each lens and am wondering if there is a filter size and an adaptor that would work with all of them.

The lense I have are:

Nikkor 18-55 mm (D3000 kit lens)
Nikkor 55-200mm
Sigma 10-20mm
Nikkor 50mm 1.8

Im not a Nikon guy so I can't give sizes, but in theory buy a Polarizer to fit the largest of the lenses, and then use step up/step down radapter rings on the other lens.

there are pluses and minuses on this, but where I live it's not an option. I have UV filters on every lens..always.

if you look on your lenses, there should be a little symbol that looks like a 0 with a line through and then a number after that... The most common numbers are 52 or 58... Can you get those numbers and tell me what they are? If you get those numbers, I can help you better :) Those numbers are your filter sizes for each lens :)

Im not a Nikon guy so I can't give sizes, but in theory buy a Polarizer to fit the largest of the lenses, and then use step up/step down radapter rings on the other lens.

there are pluses and minuses on this, but where I live it's not an option. I have UV filters on every lens..always.

You want to avoid step down rings as much as possible as they will cause vignetting on your images. You are correct though in that you want to buy the filter to fit the largest lens' filter size. Then you will want to use step up rings on your other lenses to adapt them to the filter.

if you look on your lenses, there should be a little symbol that looks like a 0 with a line through and then a number after that... The most common numbers are 52 or 58... Can you get those numbers and tell me what they are? If you get those numbers, I can help you better :) Those numbers are your filter sizes for each lens :)

I looked them up online and it looks like all the Nikkor lenses are 52mm and the Sigma is 82mm. So maybe I just need to get two filters, one for the Nikkors and one for the Sigma? That wouldn't be so bad I guess.

Be careful! Cheap or poorly made UV filters will degrade your image quality and good well made ones will not.

UV filters used for 'protection' have a bad habit of causing damage to what they were intended to 'protect', particularly where an impact to the UV filter is concerned.

Not only can it be very difficult to get a bent/broken UV filter off a lens, if the thin UV filter glass breaks, the shards of glass usually get pushed back onto the front lens element they were 'protecting'.

What worked for me was buying a good quality polarizer / ND filter for my 77mm lens and then two step up rings ($2 @ amazon) for my other lenses. Saved a lot of money.

All of my lenses do have their own UV filters though, because I like to shoot around water / dust.

Be careful! Cheap or poorly made UV filters will degrade your image quality and good well made ones will not.

UV filters used for 'protection' have a bad habit of causing damage to what they were intended to 'protect', particularly where an impact to the UV filter is concerned.

Not only can it be very difficult to get a bent/broken UV filter off a lens, if the thin UV filter glass breaks, the shards of glass usually get pushed back onto the front lens element they were 'protecting'.

You've anticipated my next question, which would be recommendations on particular filters. There's so many different ones on Ebay I don't know where to start. I don't need to spend $4.99 but I don't want to break the bank either. Any good, reasonably priced filters anyone can recommend?

$40 is an average price. I paid somewhere between $60 & $80 for mine.

If you are wanting filters for protect, I have used film cameras since 1968 and I have never kept filters on lens. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have used cameras in some really dusty places. Yes I did have to clean the glass but have never caused damage in cleaning. If you want filters for there effects look into Cokin, buy one filter and holder, and rings for all your lens.
David

This one promises to ".counteract the highly reflective characteristic of image sensors" Is this really necessary or a bunch of bologna?
AFH950 Sigma 82mm EX DG, Digitally Optimised, Circular Polarizer Wide Angle Multi-Coated Glass Filter.

Digitally Optimised (DG) Filters
EX DG filters benefit from Sigma's multi-layer lens coating, developed to counteract the highly reflective characteristic of image sensors. With older style filters, light would reflect off the image sensor, bounce off the lens and filter elements and re-enter the image sensor, creating a ghost image. The multi-layer coating dramatically reduces this effect. In addition to this, an optimum, neutral colour balance is ensured, increasing the white balance accuracy of the digital camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back