What's new

Filter's everyone should have?

I was just on ebay and saw a Latteral Polarizer, was cheaper than the Circular, I am sure there is a reason its cheaper, but how is it different and why would I want circular over latteral?
 
Agree with the guys Circular Polarizer ND6 and 8 and a good UV for those days with a lot of UV on the atmosphere
 
Lateral (or regular polarizers) work just as well as circular ones on SLR film cameras, but on a digital camera you have to use the circular polarizing filter. This is because if you use the lateral (regular) types they will block out light needed for the auto focus and metering modes on your camera - losing that light effectivly means you have to shoot blind with the camera. Circular polarizers though work perfectly with the digital SLRs.
 
Thanks, good to know, I was also glad to see the post about step-up rings. that will save some money, I was going to buy a couple cheaper filters for my 72 and 77mm lenes, now I will buy one good one with a step-up ring.
who has the best prices on a CPL online? ebay?

would I need a Slim with a 10-20mm Sigma lens? or would standard be fine?
 
I know there are some cheaper filter options on ebay (they appear to get a very high markup in price in shops) however I can't recomend names for you; though there are some members of this site who should be able to give you more direction on this.

Just make sure that when you order through ebay that you check the sellers ratings to make sure they are reputable.
 
Thanks, good to know, I was also glad to see the post about step-up rings. that will save some money, I was going to buy a couple cheaper filters for my 72 and 77mm lenes, now I will buy one good one with a step-up ring.
who has the best prices on a CPL online? ebay?

Thanks for adding your questions! Definitely helping me too.

Is there some sort of base package for the beginner photographer? Something that includes all the basic filters someone would need to begin?
 
Most of the phogographic package deals (especailly, but not limited to, the ones on Ebay) are not highgrade products. The higher grade products are sold separatly from each other because a good photographer only buys the select bits of gear they need.

However saying that NDgrads and ND filters will most likley come in some sets from retailers - though I would research these to know which ones are the better to own for your kind of shooting - and if indeed you really need them at this stage for your work
 
Agree with the guys Circular Polarizer ND6 and 8 and a good UV for those days with a lot of UV on the atmosphere
There are 3 kinds of UV light emitted from the Sun: UV-A, UV-B and UV-C.

The Earth's ozone layer blocks 98.7% of all the UV light the Sun emits and it stops virtually all of the UV-B and UV-C. 98.7% of what reaches sea level is UV-A, so there is a tad more UV-A at higher altitudes.

It's a good idea to put a UV filter on your lens when you get above 300 meters/10,000 feet.
 
oh I missed that question - and the answer is yes. On the super wide lenses like the 10-20mm you do need to use the slim version filters. This is because regular sized filters on very wide lenses can cause vignetting (dark shadows around the edges of the shot).

There are also silm filters for some lenses which are not as wide as the 10-20mm - these are more aimed at the fullframe camera bodies - where the all lenses give a wider angle of view. For crop sensor these lenses are no problem as they do not give such a wide angle of view (which is where there are the 10-20mm lens options for crop sensor - so that they can have some prope wide angles of view)
 
Thats what I was thinking, thanks, I assume I could use a 77 (the 10-20mm lens) Slim with a step-up ring on my 72, 28-135mm as well
 
Yes - the slims just cost more than the regular filters and so unless they are going to be used on wild angle glass there is no benefit in using them over a thicker filter. Though you might find the circular polarizer slim a little harder to turn than a regular thicker polarizer (though I'm only guessing at this as I don't own a slim circular polarizer lens)
 
Well with digital the warming filter has almost no use since you can adjust the warmth of an image in editing (possible on JPEGs but far easier to achive a realistic look by adjusting the white balance of a RAW image)

That cost though for one filter might be a better idea as a starting point. Remember whilst many people can give you an endless list of important highquality items that you "do need" the real demends on what you need and when will be defined by what and how you shoot. Getting the right gear at the right time is also important - otherwise you will get a bag full of great tricks and no real pressure to use them (and gear with no set use quickly gathers dust)
 
Well with digital the warming filter has almost no use since you can adjust the warmth of an image in editing (possible on JPEGs but far easier to achive a realistic look by adjusting the white balance of a RAW image)

That cost though for one filter might be a better idea as a starting point. Remember whilst many people can give you an endless list of important highquality items that you "do need" the real demends on what you need and when will be defined by what and how you shoot. Getting the right gear at the right time is also important - otherwise you will get a bag full of great tricks and no real pressure to use them (and gear with no set use quickly gathers dust)

Man you are the KING of helping us new guys. Thanks alot!

I know I do need a tripod for sure (I prefer night shots, long exposures, etc.). I think instead of that kit I'll pick up a CP filter for sure (I actually messed around with Polarized shooting with a pair of sunglasses :lol:, interesting turn out but nothing worth noting!), and maybe a ND filter as well.

KmH, you seem well versed on the whole spectrum of radiation coming into our planet. Im curious to what shooting with a green filter would do? Green is the dominant wavelength of visible light put out by the sun...so I think it might be an interesting effect.

I am really interested in IF or NIF photography, but I guess this is only capable with film cameras rather than Digital? Eventually I want to get into standard film, but I feel its easier and more cost effective to learn digitally now...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom