Filters

malkav41

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Howdy, I wanted to ask if there is a differerence in filters for digital and film cameras? I would think that there wouldn't be, but nowadays you can't tell anymore.
Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,

90% of (effect) filters that were useful for 35mm film cameras have been superceded by digital editing, which can generally apply the same effects much more precicely and delicately. Notably Circular Polarizers, UV filters, and ND filters still have their place also in digital photography, though.

If you are talking about the difference between things like the Hoya SHMC series of filters and their Hoya Pro1D designed for digital series yes the difference is huge.

You see digital cameras bring more products to brainless masses who don't research properly and therefore the digital filters allow creative marketing departments to justify a 200% cost increase for what is an identically performing product.

If that's what you were talking about look here for an actual test result:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100830

If not disregard my ramblings :)

Reason I'm asking is, I found some filters that said digital camera filter on the package. I was wanting to use them on my film cameras, but if there is a difference then I'll save my money. They're a circular polarizer and UV filter packaged together.
Ed

There is nothing these filters do differently despite the marketing hype.

I don't see how it is saving money though. So far every filter that I have seen with digital written on the cover has been more expensive than their identical older counterparts.

Yup, just marketing. And of course "marketing" is just a way of justifying rape. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back