Filters

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is sort of a combo thread, a little C&C but I also have a question. I have heard that polarizers cut down on reflections and I find that a lot of my shots are ruined either from my reflection or other reflection in paint or chrome and such. Would a polarizer be the best option for reducing these types of reflections? Thanks

Green grass made the chrome green
IMG_0622copy.jpg

You can see grass and dirt in the chrome on the grill
IMG_1231tp.jpg

Theses types of hubcabs are some of my favorites but they really pick up reflections
IMG_1277tp.jpg

Thanks again!

I'm no expert, but I don't think a CP will due everything you have in mind in these situations. The green cast from the grass will still be there. What should be cut down, but not removed, is the real bright reflections, like the bright spot on the top of the metal on top of the tire (loosing my mind trying to remember what that part is called...) The reflections that have you in them will still be there too....

I think the best way might be to get the trucks parked on pavement so the reflections look fairly neutral, and watch where you are in the reflections to try and minimize.

Polarizers cut glare and, not reflection. Reflection is an image or, in the case of the grass a color cast. Glare is where the light blows out. In simple terms ofcourse.

Polarizers cut glare and, not reflection. Reflection is an image or, in the case of the grass a color cast. Glare is where the light blows out. In simple terms ofcourse.

Polarizing filters certainly do cut reflections quite well in glass, water, and in metal (though not as completely).

skieur

They're not miracle workers, but they do a nice job. Notice the effect on the glass.

Filter on, but not turned..................................................................Filter turned
CPL-filter-turned-Web.jpg
CPL-filter-with-Web.jpg

Both are at f/4, but my shutter speed shanged from 1/500s to 1/200s to retain a correct exposure when metered on the glass.

I didn't think to get one without the filter for more obvious comparison.

Last edited:
ah, ok so it will cut glare but not so much reflections. Kundalini's example makes me think that although they don't cut reflections, it will put more emphasis on details in the paint (like the defroster lines on the window) and cause the reflections to be less distracting. Does this make sense?

Thanks alot for the samples Kundalini!

The best thing to do is buy a bag with a built in rain cover, aka a lowepro(kata are too bright), then open and lay it out infron of a reflective surfac, which will work perfectly for your purpose.

Ahh, good thinking, I never though of that, I could even just get a big sheet of black cloth and lay that out. Thanks!

Are there other kinds of filters that will cut the reflections, or is putting a sheet on the ground the only thing you can do?

ah, ok so it will cut glare but not so much reflections. Kundalini's example makes me think that although they don't cut reflections, it will put more emphasis on details in the paint (like the defroster lines on the window) and cause the reflections to be less distracting. Does this make sense?

Thanks alot for the samples Kundalini!

The curve in the glass becomes an issue. The polarizer will do a great job at 90 degrees from the light source when the glass is flat. When glass or metal is curved, camera angle becomes much more important.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back