Filters!

dcmoody23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at buying filters for my 50/1.8 (52 mm)and my 70-200/2.8 (72 mm)- My primary need is ND filters - I'm thinking I'll go with a .9, a .6, and a .3 for both lenses..

My primary question is what brand do you like for your filters? With my 72 I have a small kit of filters (UV, polarized, and a warming filter [which IMO doesn't really work])which is Tiffen filters and I don't notice any big degrade in my images between filter and no filter, but I also have nothing to compare it to.
Can someone put together a list for me of best filters, to acceptable, to not acceptable? I want something that won't effect images, but I also want cost effective. I baby all of my equipment so build isn't a big deal, as long as it doesn't effect quality.

Also, what would you recommend to buy other than ND filters? What do you find that you use a lot to produce things you couldn't without a filter?

Thanks!

I've got enough filters to float a boat. Out of that mess I use polarizing filters, NDs and G-NDs; all the rest (reds, oranges, greens, graduated blues, graduated sunsets, warmning, 1A, 80A etc). For polarizing and other round filters I like B+W, Lee and Singh-Ray. For grads and NDs, I use the Cokin P system. I would prefer Lee or Singh-Ray, but I can't justify $120+/filter as opposed $35-40 filter. The only downside to the Cokin ND and G-NDs is that when you're shooting toward the sun they can suffer severe CA, however, that can be reduce or eliminated with a good lens hood (I use a piece of 8x10 matte black craft foam; $1.00 at Wal-mart).

I've got enough filters to float a boat. Out of that mess I use polarizing filters, NDs and G-NDs; all the rest (reds, oranges, greens, graduated blues, graduated sunsets, warmning, 1A, 80A etc). For polarizing and other round filters I like B+W, Lee and Singh-Ray. For grads and NDs, I use the Cokin P system. I would prefer Lee or Singh-Ray, but I can't justify $120+/filter as opposed $35-40 filter. The only downside to the Cokin ND and G-NDs is that when you're shooting toward the sun they can suffer severe CA, however, that can be reduce or eliminated with a good lens hood (I use a piece of 8x10 matte black craft foam; $1.00 at Wal-mart).

Nice money saving idea! Would I be able to shoot a sunset with an ND filter and get just the circle and not that ridiculous star (lacking the term) that ruins the image? Or do I need another filter? I know you said you had a sunset filter.. Is that what that's for?

If you're shooting sunsets, you will likely want to use a graduated ND (G-ND) vice a regular ND as this will allow you to reduce the dynamic range between the sky and ground. The sunset filter is a graduated orange which can enhance the colours of a sunset, but more often than not just winds up looking hokey.

For me, 'must-have' filters for outdoor photography consist of a circular polarizer, and 2 each of ND .3, .6, .9, 1 each of gradual G-ND .3, .6. and .9, and 1 each of hard G-ND .3, .6, and .9. With that combination I've been able to acheive exposure times in excess of 10 seconds in bright, Mediterranean sun.

If you're shooting sunsets, you will likely want to use a graduated ND (G-ND) vice a regular ND as this will allow you to reduce the dynamic range between the sky and ground. The sunset filter is a graduated orange which can enhance the colours of a sunset, but more often than not just winds up looking hokey.

For me, 'must-have' filters for outdoor photography consist of a circular polarizer, and 2 each of ND .3, .6, .9, 1 each of gradual G-ND .3, .6. and .9, and 1 each of hard G-ND .3, .6, and .9. With that combination I've been able to acheive exposure times in excess of 10 seconds in bright, Mediterranean sun.

Oh my - I barely know the first thing about filters, and I learned that today over some random website :lmao:
Can I ask why 2 of each ND? and why if you have those buying G-ND filters can be justified? Graduated filters seem to me like they'd be kind of cheesy.. Plus I shoot a lot of HDR so I don't normally have a problem getting the right exposure through out.

I guess I just don't understand the purpose (fully) of the graduated ND filters. I'll probably buy 1 .9 graduated filter and see how I like it, and then add to that if I find I like the effect.

I also wanted to know about infrared filters -- the images produced can look really great from what I've seen, but I don't understand exactly what the infrared does to the image?

Lastly: Dolica vs Tiffen - I just simply don't have the money right now to buy the expensive filters (just bought a computer :p) so I'm wondering what the best cheaper filter .. I just looked on amazon and saw that a kit of dolica filters (.3,.6,.9) goes for $51, compared to the Tiffen filters which go for nearly $45 each (keep in mind that's at 77mm)
So, do I wait, save money, and get the top of the line filter? or do I buy the dolica package? (maybe even 2)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was motivated by a link here yesterday regarding waterfalls - I went out today and purchased a ND 8 circular to get longer exposures in daylight. I can't always get out for the 'magic hours' and have to settle for just having fun shooting in the nasty harsh sun sometimes. So hoping this ND 8 will give me better moving water shots.

spent $39 on the Kenko ND 8 for 72mm - to use with my Sigma 18-250 3.5-6.3 lens.

Any feedback on that?

Okay - Please don't disregard my above post because there are lots of questions on that..

But one more question - Can I buy 77mm filters and use them with all lenses via adapters? Or are there only certain lengths? Because I would love to buy my 77s and not need duplicates in every lens size I ever get

you can buy step up rings to use on various sizes , moving up to a 77mm so you only need to buy one size.

Most reactions

Back