Filters

cumi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

How often do you use an UV and a polarizer filter? Are there worth buying them?

My second question is: I read that a Hoya polarizer should be a good start. Unfortunatly, I don't see (in the online shops), if they also have a dial (to set the angle of pol.). Do they really don't have it, or just I can not see it? :( For Hama I know they have, but nobody recomended them yet. Hama is also cheaper.

I am also not sure, if I can mount a 3rd party filter on my Nikkor 18-70 lens. The manual says not to do it, but a Nikon polarizer would cost me about 200 euros.

Thanks

polarizers are great for removing reflections and makeing skys looks better, i would definately reccomend a circular one. however i have no experience of UV filter and cant help you there im afraid..

I use a Hoya Skylight (similar to a UV) on my big expensive lenses to avoid direct damage in the field - I can happily polish away with my T-Shirt when I get a bit of sea spray, grit or dust on it and not worry about the expensive bit of glass.

For outdoor landscape work, I carry a circular polarising filter (for my Nikon) which was very expensive (£200). It's very handy when you're on holiday and you want that blue sky to be blue. It's also good for B&W in this country when you want textured clouds. There are Hoya and other brands which produce circular polarisors which would fit your lens.

One thing to bear in mind with rotating filters is what type of zoom you have. If it's a rotating barrel zoom, every time you zoom and/or focus, you need to re-polarise.

Rob

Several points to keep in mind... (My trade mark saying).

1: UV filters are cheap and they are good insurance. Better to spend a few bucks (or in your case a few euros) on a filter that is sacrificial rather than loose a 500 euro lens. They also work really well for smog.

2:The various brand names are on average equal to one another. Sometimes you can get a stinker, but if you stick with Hoya you'll be fine.

3: The dial you refer to is something I have only seen recently. I am not personally aware of how useful it is unless you are really specific in the amount of polarization you want, unless you are using a linear polarizer. Anyone who is an expert in that one can give you a better answer in regards to it.
Using a polarizer has a ton of benefits and I recommend that you use it when you want to:

Cut down on glare on glasses or other glass,

In rich the colors of the picture, darken skies, etc.

4: As for not using a particular brand of filter except for the OEM, you have to remember this:

The manufacturers always say that because they want to sell you more items.

Liability on certain items like batteries.

And want to make more money.

Most of the lenses made, with VERY few exceptions use the same thread pitch at the same diameter. It is a metric number that I do not remember here. What you have to really watch out for is the stuff made in Outer Mongolia under a brand name not ever heard of before, being sold on e-bay for 30 cents. Those will generally not have the right thread pitch, which can really damage the threads, and/or be loose. In addition, the threads on the filter are suppose to be softer in material strength so as to become sacrificial vs. the threading on the lens. (Better to again damage and replace the filter than the lens here). Some of the off-the-wall stuff may be either too soft, or too hard, and wind up damaging the threads on the lenses in addition to the filter itself.
Hoya generally is very good about this. After all, they do have a reputation to keep.

Thanks, you helped me a lot! :hail: :thumbup:

Rob said:
One thing to bear in mind with rotating filters is what type of zoom you have. If it's a rotating barrel zoom, every time you zoom and/or focus, you need to re-polarise.

Rob

Also remember if you switch from landscape shooting to portrait shooting ie rotate the camera 90 degrees you'll need to re-polarise for that too.

Most reactions

Back