filters

klissarov ik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay so i'll buy some filters maybe tomorrow and i just wanted to be sure i was going for the good ones.

polarizer filter
gray graduated filter

and there was another one i forgot the name something like FWS filter.. does it ring a bell?

i don't think about getting a UV filter for protection as i'll always have on of these filters on and i heard if you don't use the polarizer filter right- it won't make any effect so this is a good thing cause i could use it as protection also.

also, what's the difference between: neutral density filter & graduated neutral density filter?

any thoughts on all this is welcome and suggestions on filters i didn't put
i'll be doing landscapes & urban pictures most of the time so it leave ya a little idea

thanks

An ND is a bit dark if the light gets low, same with a polarizer. A graduated filter is fine if thew sky is too bright but again, not good for lowlight and protecting the lens. If you are going WAY far north then nevermind ;)

mike

hmm okay so here is a question- could i do the same effects that ND & graduated filters produce with Photoshop? i heard the only hard effect to do with PS is a polarizer filter...

also, i'll have to buy an SD card. 2gb would be nice.. any suggestions on card names? are there some i shouldn't buy or something like that.. right now i'm with a PNY 2gb and everything's fine.

hmm okay so here is a question- could i do the same effects that ND & graduated filters produce with Photoshop? i heard the only hard effect to do with PS is a polarizer filter...

also, i'll have to buy an SD card. 2gb would be nice.. any suggestions on card names? are there some i shouldn't buy or something like that.. right now i'm with a PNY 2gb and everything's fine.

A graduated ND filter is perfect for shooting landscapes with a very bright sky. Without it, you will end up with a silhouetted foreground and a properly exposed sky. With it, you will get more detail in the foreground especially toward sundown.

The best broad landscape shots have detail in the foreground, middle ground, and background along with a properly exposed sky. That can be handled best with a graduated ND filter.

A polarizer will create better contrast between the clouds and the blue sky with the sun at right angles to your shot. It will also take the glare off water or wet leaves etc. and eliminate reflections in a glass window.

A software polarizing filter in Photoshop will help the sky and clouds but will not take eliminate reflections in glass or take the glare off wet materials. A software graduated neutral density filter can however give the photographer a great deal of control over lighting in photos already taken.

I use both on camera filters and software filters and I consider both absolutely helpful and necessary.

skieur

/QUOTE]

You got that backwards. The polariser cant' be done in photoshop. An ND grad filter can be done by taking 2 photos, overlaying them on each other, and then putting a gradient mask on one of them. Easy as pie.

For memory cards I bought a cheapie of ebay. I don't need the extra speed my camera has a buffer for that, and when I import into lightroom I'm limited by the speed at which my computer converts RAWs, not how fast I can transfer. I click import and go upstairs to get a coffee or chat to the sister or something.

As for using a polariser for lens protection... Don't. Polarisers have 2 problems. They take a far larger quality hit for the light going through them which can affect photos especially photos with saturated reds and high contrast. It can cause colours to bleed in certain situations, so it's not ideal to have them on all the time. And the biggest problem is that you automatically take a 1 stop hit in light. Yes you can bump the ISO up to compensate but what if you are already in low-light. Also don't forget your autofocus also takes a 1 stop hit and so does your viewfinder. You may actually loose the ability to focus indoors with the polariser mounted.

As far as filters go the only one I would personally recommend to everyone is a CPL any other filter is a personal decision if it fits your specific needs.

what's a CPL filter? that might be the one i was looking for..
for some reasons i can't find any explanations on google

/QUOTE]You got that backwards. The polariser cant' be done in photoshop[/quote]

Not sure what you mean above, but I have a software polarizing filter which I use as a plug-in to Photoshop.

skieur

I guess you could simulate some of the effects of a polarizer (darker skies) but it's not realistic to remove reflected light like a polarizer can.

I guess you could simulate some of the effects of a polarizer (darker skies) but it's not realistic to remove reflected light like a polarizer can.

Correct, as I previously stated above. In general terms though, software filters have the advantage of selective application to any part of a photo which is not quite as possible with the glass type filters. :wink:

skieur

That's true...and that's why the only filter I use is a polarizer, because I can simulate just about everything else with software and the flexibility is infinitely greater when applying effects with software.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back