Final desicion, I swear. I'm getting a Nikon.

meganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have decided to get the Nikon D40x. This is my final decision, I promise lol. Since I want the Nikon D80 and D200, but can't get them til later, I figured I should just get the D40x and upgrade. Now I studied a little more on the D80 than the D40x, so I have some questions. You can use the same lenses on the D80 as the D40x, right? I think I read somewhere certain lenses couldn't be used on the D40 as the other dslr's. But I'm not sure, so excuse me if it was a dumb question. Are there any good/bad things you want to point out about the D40x? And anything else you want to say would be nice.

The D40X lacks an internal Autofocus drive motor. So you can only use AF-S or AF-I Lenses which have an internal drive motor.

Thats the only lens disability that I know of.

from my understanding maddermaxx is CORRECT. it just means you can't use super old af lenses i think.

from what i've read the d40x is a steal.

Thanks
So if I wanted to get a 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX lens, I could use it on the D40x and the D80, right?
And what lenses do you suggest? I was thinking about the 55-200, cause it's not that expensive, but what do you suggest that isn't too expensive?

That lens should work on both the D40X and D80.

I don't know anything about Nikons I'm a Canonite myself, But I'm pretty sure the AF-S will work on both the D40x and D80

Thanks.
I'm probably going to go to some stores tomorrow, so I'm most likely going to go to a camera store.
Well it's 4am, I better go to bed if I want to go out tomorrow lol.
I'll post more tomorrow if I go to the store, I'll probably post more if I don't lol.

from my understanding maddermaxx is CORRECT. it just means you can't use super old af lenses i think.

Nope it means you can't use about 60% of Nikon's current lens lineup as well. So no 50mm f/1.8 let alone the f/1.4. No 85mm MicroNikkor. No fisheye. Definitely no AI or AI-S lenses either.

I would not recommend this camera to anyone for a hobby. It's a nice cheap point and shoot style, but the hobbyist who is most likely to want new lenses but doesn't have the capital or patience for the new AF-S lenses will outgrow this camera very quickly.

AF lenses will still work just not focus. AI/S lenses will not work.

If she doens't have all those lenses, why is that such a major factor? Whatever lenses she does get foro this one will be compatible with the other Nikon cameras, right?

I've been looking at the same lens. I am most likely getting a flash first though (and that assumes I make some side money teaching Spanish or selling stuff).

Congrats on your decision Megan.

My inpute:) I have the Nikon D40 and love it but like they are saying your lens selection is limited. I think it depends on what you want to do with it really. For me, I am now working towards wedding photography so I have to get a new camera (D200:) and get better lenses. If you are just taking pictures for yourself than the D40 or D40X will be fine. Honestly I think if you are going to spend $800 on a D40x you would be better off getting the D80 body for that price and then buying your lens you want. Either that or get the D40 to save money. I think the biggest difference in the D40 and D40x is the megapixles... is that correct guys? If that is correct than I would say you are better off getting the D80 body and that lens you want. I really like my D40 and think it is a great camera and at the time I baught it I did not think I would be doing anymore shooting than your average person and for that it is great:) Hope it helps and I hope you enjoy your new camera!

If she doens't have all those lenses, why is that such a major factor? Whatever lenses she does get foro this one will be compatible with the other Nikon cameras, right?

No the problem is that the lenses I mentioned don't exist in AF-S format. I'd have no problem recomending the D40x if it could only use the current Nikkor lens lineup, but currently it can't even do that because so many AF lenses are still in production. Personally I hope that changes soon anyway. The two I mentioned are amongst the most useful lenses for anyone especially if they want to do portraits, and would always be a fundamental part of my kit.

There's also an economic factor here. AF lenses can be had second hand and there's some great bargains out there. AF-S lenses pretty much need to be bought new.

Okay, I understand that and agree it'd be nice if I could comfortably buy one of those lenses, BUT wouldn't it mean that I could get some really good practice manually focusing if I got one before they finally come out with an AF-S version? Wasn't there a time when lenses were focused by hand? Wouldn't learning to manual focus help me understand what's involved in getting the subject in focus? There is a little light that comes on when focus is achieved. The lenses FIT, they just won't auto focus.

You could do that, however I would think it would get old very quick, especially with fast moving photography, like sports or kids.

By using BH Photo+video's website the difference for the body's alone will be $239 dollars. Now consider selling a d40x on ebay in a few months or a year..I bet you will lose a considerable amount, maybe even more that $239 dollars.

Also if you buy the D80 and start out with a $108 50mm 1.8 lens, you will keep that to use for a number of adventures. I wouldn't think the kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 would be used much on the D200 that you wanted to upgrade to in the future. Also lens's hold their value well and can be used for years to come, bodies however will be outdated fairly quickly. I would buy the glass that you will use for a long time.

The choice is yours and only you can make the best decision for you circumstances.

Hmm....so maybe I should get the D80 body, then get a lens. I looked at Circuit City, B&H, Wolf Camera, and Best Buy. Circuit City has it for $916.99, B&H has it for $879.95, Wolf Camera has it for $999.99, and Best Buy has it for $999.99. I'd still be spending around $1000 if I do that....which I'd have to wait a little while longer. But I guess I can do that.

I was in the same boat buying the D80, I almost went the d50 route to save, but waited an extra month and i'm glad I did. I considered the D200 and at over a year ago, not only was it hard to find but it sold for full msrp. Theres times I wish I had the features the d200, but i'm still at an amateur level so I can get by.When i'm ready for a bigger camera the D300 or D200S will be out....then I will have the glass to use it right away. (Which I spent more on glass than the body lol)

If your just wanting to get more flexability than a point and shoot and don't plan to go pro or have a serious hobby then the d40x might well be the best bet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back