Finally discovered the wonders of backwards lens macro

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is so cool. I was an idiot that thought you had to hold a lens backwards in front of a regular lens. Just figured out how to really do it today when toying with the FD lenses on the EF camera (trying to find a way to make a home made adapter rather than paying for one with corrective lens. I'm so happy. some shots:

Pics of a quarter
FD 28mm 2.8 (stopped down to whatever it is when taken off of the camer body)
IMG_0016-1.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

EFS 18-55 @ 18
IMG_0030.jpg

FD 28mm 2.8
Mazda Key Chain
IMG_0017.jpg

18-55 @ 18
Moto RZOR
IMG_0026.jpg

Then 2 pics of a lamp taken with FD lenses facing the right way and held in place with fingers

28mm
IMG_0002-1.jpg

135mm
IMG_0001-1.jpg

couldnt he fix that by stopping down the lens and then taking it off the camera body?

an EF lens can only be stopped down electronically, and the aperture ring does nothing unless the pins are aligned between the Fd lens and th eFD mount. In other words, they are always wide open.

You know, I do like that effect! What camera body are you using?

Ah, another newcomer to the wonders of reversed lens macro! :D
Well, the "ridiculously shallow DOF" is a by-product of this technique and needs to be taken into account, so sometimes you have to try and be as parallel to your subject as can be, else you lose large parts to blurriness (but also that can be a desired effect).

A whole new world opens up once you know how to do it, doesn't it?

You know, I do like that effect! What camera body are you using?
This was my Rebel XT

and to La Photo, I've never thought I'd ever NEED a macro lens, but I've always wanted one for fun. Now that I have one in the most desperate and desirable of times, its fine, rather than spending a large amount of money on something that'll get the same effect just easier.

Most reactions

Back