Finally had some fun with a Juvi Red Tail

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been working out some kinks with the D7100 and feeling a bit down as there haven't been too many birds around. As I was leaving a state park today I saw the white blob in the tree from 1/2 mile away.. Comments welcome..

As I got out of my car I still had my 2x TC on..
1Red Tail in fall by krisinct, on Flickr

I snuck up much closer and pulled the 2x TC off..
Juvi Red Tail Hawk Pose by krisinct, on Flickr

3 I threw the TC back on and went for a portrit..

Hawk Portrait by krisinct, on Flickr

4 of course the hawk took flight and I couldn't get him in the whole frame and my shutter speed was a little slow..

Red Tail Hawk Liftofff by krisinct, on Flickr

5 he flew behind some bushes an I popped the TC back off and he flew by really close.. this is pretty much the whole frame

Red Tail Hawk really close in flight by krisinct, on Flickr

6 he landed on the top of a tree and was back-lit..

Watching by krisinct, on Flickr

I think those look great Kris! I actually really like #4 even though it could be said that you clipped wings, etc.... I wondered how you were doing with the 7100 I was a little curious why you hadn't posted anything yesterday. I thought you might be having troubles. Obviously you're not. Lol!

You managed to make some pretty decent pictures...

very nice! they're all good, but I like #1 best, the background is a good complement in color and bokeh...

All are amazing but #5 is the one for me.

Nice set. How you liking the 7100?

Thanks everyone! Shef, yes indeed I clipped the wings but that shot was with the 2x TC and that was the whole frame lol. It just doesn't sink into my brain I can zoom out if I need to...

Still have sort of mixed feelings about the D7100. I feel that exposures are inconsistent, especially in matrix mode. I also think that the "improved" AF system is not as rock solid as the D300. I also do not like the ergonomics nearly as much as the D300. The buffer surprisingly hasn't come into play. I realized I normally get my shot in the first 6... I love having more resolution left for prints and the dynamic range is noticeably better. One thing that surprised me was having a use-able ISO 6400 in a pinch.. It's for sure a 2 stop improvement over the D300. I hated even going to 800 if I knew I had to crop on the D300.

It is also a little glitchy. In AF-C "Focus" priority it will fire away with nothing in focus and twice today the display went black and it wouldn't come back on until I powered off, on, removed lens and removed battery.. keeping an eye on that for sure..

Nothing special but here is a 6400 shot...

ISO 6400! Seriously by krisinct, on Flickr

yeah for 6400 iso that really nice for a crop sensor, I really don't think the d800 could do much better. 6400, isn't bad when you don't crop at all, I also notice the inconstant matrix meter exposure. with the d800. most of the things you say seem very relevant to the d800

I don't know if I've ever used matrix metering on the 800. have you tried spot or center weight? I'm on spot most of the time.

I don't know if I've ever used matrix metering on the 800. have you tried spot or center weight? I'm on spot most of the time.

I was trying to work my way through some focus issues first. I used matrix probably 50-60% of the time on the D300 maybe 30% on spot and the balance on center weighted. Do you leave your center weighted at default of 8mm? I think I had it set to "AVG" on one of my D300 and the results were pretty good. I will start working on exposure modes tomorrow...

I just started looking at the pictures and didn't look at who posted them. Got about halfway through and was like I wonder who took these? Scrolled up......Ahhhh its Coastalconn...Of course it is lol....Great pics as usual the first one is awesome.

by the way I like what the wings look like in #4. it has the feeling of motion. unfortunately the hawk's head isn't that sharp but it's still nice.

I was trying to work my way through some focus issues first. I used matrix probably 50-60% of the time on the D300 maybe 30% on spot and the balance on center weighted. Do you leave your center weighted at default of 8mm? I think I had it set to "AVG" on one of my D300 and the results were pretty good. I will start working on exposure modes tomorrow...

for wildlife I'm usually in spot probably like 80% of the time, but occasionally center weighted (I'm more in center weighted when shooting my automotive stuff though), it kindof depends on the situation. IIRC I've got centerweighted at 12mm. I tried matrix on my past bodies and never was really happy with it, but everyone has preferences, if it works for someone, than who's to argue with results. and I shoot a little differently than I did back then, so maybe it's worth another try.

that is a good 6400ISO image too. I can use 6400 on the 800 if I don't crop, the downsizing of the image to web size (or even moderate to small print size) helps combat the noise. but if it's cropped much than I'm just not happy with it at that level, its borderline the same at 3200 too. my normal max limit I put on is 2500ISO.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back