Finally, some REAL macro

Eye floaters!

:lmao: Yep, it's just like that; only there's about a kazillion of the little things. They definitely taunt me, though.

On another note: I love the line "Maybe you should listen to him, he's flipping a nickel and chewing on a toothpick."

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I've had the lens for a whole WEEK now; I've had at least an hour of shooting time with it (albeit in three separate sessions).
I should definitely be an expert by now! :lol:

Last night, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and try shooting some critters. I tried an ant first...they move WAY too fast!! That didn't really end well at all.

Then I decided to go sit in the middle of a field of clover in my backyard and just see what I could find. These are a few of the results; more on my flickr page for anyone inclined to subject themselves to that.

Oh, and a "Note to Self" about clover fields--Self, it's all well and good that you made sure you weren't about to sit on one of the many bees or wasps or yellow jackets flitting about in the clover; but next time, you should really consider the fact that there are other things that can BITE you on the you-know-what. I evidently sat down on a ferocious spider, and ended up with a baseball-sized red, swollen spot (actually on the back of my leg, but VERY close to my backside); it hurt ALL night. Still hurts, a little, but there's no streaking or other alarming signs.

Okay, the photos: C&C welcome, as always. Or general comments. Or totally random thoughts. Even hijacks. Really, I just like to have replies on my thread...
:lol:

1. Not the sharpest, as this was a serendipitous shot and I had to twist at an odd angle to even get it.
1/200, f/25, ISO 640

spiderwithprey_0095 by sm4him, on Flickr

2. A gnat on some clover
1/200, f/22, ISO 640 (with flash, though not very well positioned for this shot)

gnat_0053 by sm4him, on Flickr

3. Different gnat on a blade of grass:
1/200, f/25 ISO 640, flash pointed vaguely in the direction of gnat, from camera right

bee_0133 by sm4him, on Flickr

4. Don't know what this is; just included it because it looks so sinister.
1/200, f/25, ISO 640, flash pointed off at whatever I'd shot just before this ;)

bug_0100 by sm4him, on Flickr

cool shot with the spider... looks like you have lots of good subjects there!

#2 and #3 are both hoverflies.... they are lovely!

not sure what #4 is!

Thanks, Charlie! Yeah, my backyard seems to be a haven for creepy-crawlies!

Thanks for the compliments, AND the id on the hoverfly--my insect id skills definitely need work; ironically, a number of years ago, I worked with several of our boy scouts on their Insect merit badges. But, I had several field guides I kept with me all the time back then. Guess I need to see if I can dig those guides back out.

Just had a chance to read through your thread. For just 3 outings you've made a ton of progress. The last set is just super. Well exposed, and well composed. As for your earlier florals, they're close ups not macros. I should know, as I spend more then half of my photo life taking floral close ups. I would strongly recommend that you buy a decent tripod with a ball head. It will make your life so much easier and more relaxing. Unlike bugs, flowers don't just decide to move. So you can take your time. Compose, work on your exposure, DOF, and check it on your LCD to see if it's what you're after. Then redue if necessary.

Thanks, Joel, for the encouragement!

I do realize that the floral ones aren't truly macros--I tried to admit then in the original post, but I think that message failed. I was just saying that they were the first attempts WITH my macro lens, not really my first macros. I love doing floral close-ups, and it's one of the things I intend to use the lens for. The other primary reason I bought the macro lens was for insect macros, but I felt like I needed practice on something a little easier than insects to start with.

I DEFINITELY need a tripod!! And soon!
Question though: how does using a tripod with insect macro photography really WORK? Don't you have to do a LOT of picking it up and repositioning it? I'd be afraid I'd scare the little critters away by the time I was set for the shot.

Oh, and also--you say flowers don't just decide to move. I've decided differently recently. I go out, I find what I want to photograph, I get all my settings right, focus in, aannnddd....the wind blows. It dies down, I go for the shot again, and there goes the wind again. It mocks me! ;)

In fact, I've recently decided that the downside to living in beautiful East Tennessee is that there is NEVER really an IDEAL day for photography. It's either too bright, too rainy or too windy. Those nice dry, still, but somewhat overcast days just don't really happen here in the valley!

I love the second one, of the fly thingy on the flower. Good job.

Yay for you! Congrats on the new toy.
I really like #2 of the first set, very nicely captured. The Honeysuckle is another of my favourites.

Your insect set is well done! The wings on the first Hoverfly are gorgeous.

Hope you get out again soon so we get to see more ;)

I do realize that the floral ones aren't truly macros--I tried to admit then in the original post, but I think that message failed. I was just saying that they were the first attempts WITH my macro lens, not really my first macros. I love doing floral close-ups, and it's one of the things I intend to use the lens for. The other primary reason I bought the macro lens was for insect macros, but I felt like I needed practice on something a little easier than insects to start with.

Question though: how does using a tripod with insect macro photography really WORK? Don't you have to do a LOT of picking it up and repositioning it? I'd be afraid I'd scare the little critters away by the time I was set for the shot.

Oh, and also--you say flowers don't just decide to move. I've decided differently recently. I go out, I find what I want to photograph, I get all my settings right, focus in, aannnddd....the wind blows. It dies down, I go for the shot again, and there goes the wind again. It mocks me! ;)

In fact, I've recently decided that the downside to living in beautiful East Tennessee is that there is NEVER really an IDEAL day for photography. It's either too bright, too rainy or too windy. Those nice dry, still, but somewhat overcast days just don't really happen here in the valley!

I dont' think I've ever taken a floral close up, that includes insects/florals from time to time without the use of a tripod. As for less then ideal weather conditions, I'm suffering just like you this year. Wind, rain, more wind, sun, some clouds, then more rain. It's everywhere. What I do is just what you do, I wait for the wind to die down and then shoot. I've already set up the shot, so it's not a total crap shoot, but it's close to one.

I have to confess that I use a tripod because at my age (64), I'm not as rock steady as I once was. Haven't tried macro insect photography yet, but with such a limited DOF hand holding seems like a tricky way to go. I also use a DR-6 right angle viewfinder for the majority of my floral close ups, so a tripod is a must for it's use.

Last edited:

The only time I use a tripod for insect macro work, is when I have a very stationary subject that won't be moving.. like a spider on a web. About 99% of my shots are handheld. I would say about 80% are with diffused flash also, which makes the handheld easier since it reduces movement issues. I use tripod primarily for landscapes and such!

I know what you mean about the weather! I was in Arkansas all last week on business (no camera) and will be out on business all this coming week too. Today is my only day home... and it is rainy and dreary. And here I am with my new D800 to play with...lol! I may have to setup something indoors.... we will see!

Charlie, it just amazes me that you can hand hold for those incredible macro insect shots. I'm just glad I don't shake and spill my coffee in the morning. Guess the weather really sucks everywhere these days. I'm off on Monday, and it looks like mostly rain. Still will try to get out and do some florals.

Have a great trip, and take your camera with you. Will you have internet access?

Charlie, it just amazes me that you can hand hold for those incredible macro insect shots. I'm just glad I don't shake and spill my coffee in the morning. Guess the weather really sucks everywhere these days. I'm off on Monday, and it looks like mostly rain. Still will try to get out and do some florals.

Have a great trip, and take your camera with you. Will you have internet access?

Using flash with handheld helps with some of the motion issues, as does bracing as much as possible. It just takes practice! :)

Yes.. have a cellular card for the laptop! (and satellite setup if I need it... but I hate using it... latency sucks! lol!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back