FINALLY! Whitetail | Tamron 150-600

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally a decent shot of a whitetail, however I am kicking myself in the rear!!!!

This guy caught me completely off guard.

I got into my new spot where I saw some doe come through and kept watching the clearing to the left, as there was a cornfield to my right.

I tapped my deer call a few times and heard some rustling come out of the cornfield.

This guy came prancing out, and I just sat there watching him for a minute. Hoping he would stop to eat and I could get into position. As he was only 30 yards away.

He instantly saw me.

Anywho, he started prancing to the left and I knew he was going to take off if I raised my camera. But nothing is worse than being out in the woods for hours and finally seeing something just to lose it!

So I said screw it and slowly pulled my camera up and he was watching every move I made and he just kept prancing. I got my camera up to my face, tapped my call and he stopped in his tracks.

I quickly focused and as the shutter snapped he took off like a bat out of hell!

I snapped a couple more as he ran and jumped off.

Talk about a adrenaline rush.

However, I slightly missed the focus, its okay, but it could of been a lot sharper!!!!!! Dammit.

You live you learn.

Enjoy!

1. 6 point Whitetail
15090999660_be406c6c42_c.jpg

2. Its crazy how they jump and land
15091145577_9ce1752aef_c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice narration, it's clear what you mean by his look in the first one. Taking decent photos in a zoo is something, but it's so cool when you can do the same out in the wild.. :icon_thumleft:

Nice narration, it's clear what you mean by his look in the first one. Taking decent photos in a zoo is something, but it's so cool when you can do the same out in the wild.. :icon_thumleft:
Thank you Raj! I completely agree, anyone can take amazing zoo pictures, but to even get within reach of a whitetail is one tough task. As I'm learning right now.

I've already spent countless hours in the woods and rarely have anything to show I'm proud of, this was my first shot and I'm still disappointed in myself lol

I've already spent countless hours in the woods and rarely have anything to show I'm proud of, this was my first shot and I'm still disappointed in myself lol
You shouldn't be, these are fine shots considering you had so little time to do everything. And no matter how good a shot you get, there'll always be a scope for improvement.

Nice......we have whitetails that come in our back yard....always does....never a buck.....the bucks around here, though small, are real cagey.......

Nice shots.
:band:

now look around and see if you can find your eyepiece on the ground

Ooo! Nice shots! I really like the first. His expression is the best.

Congrats on getting a few shots off! :1219:

Nice shots.
:band:

now look around and see if you can find your eyepiece on the ground

:laughing: lol, yeah its gone, I covered about 50 acres lmao

Ooo! Nice shots! I really like the first. His expression is the best.

Congrats on getting a few shots off! :1219:
Thank you :)

Yup, nice shots Scar.

So funny - but certainly can relate to what you must have thought and felt at the time. I think it really brings the kid out of someone. Hide & Seek comes to mind.

If your girlfriend ever goes out with you, you will be amazed at the hand gestures and gyrations you will do to make sure she see's what you see without scaring the subject away. It can be comical and frustrating.

Yup, nice shots Scar.

So funny - but certainly can relate to what you must have thought and felt at the time. I think it really brings the kid out of someone. Hide & Seek comes to mind.

If your girlfriend ever goes out with you, you will be amazed at the hand gestures and gyrations you will do to make sure she see's what you see without scaring the subject away. It can be comical and frustrating.
My fiancé is not aloud to go with me hahhahha.

She can't sit still or keep quiet lol.

Then again, maybe thats why I love her so much, she sure does keep things interesting.

But yes, there is nothing like seeing a Buck, or even a doe come into view and to see how close you can get to it. Very kid like.

Those are some very nice photos! I know a lot of deer hunters that rarely see anything while in the woods so you did good with those shots. There are woods behind my house and I've seen deer back there; I've frozen one or two just by doing a low "hah" sound by using my upper chest muscles. Their curiosity freezes them in their tracks. I've also seen far too many deer white flags running away from me as well.
I do astronomy as a hobby and many nights will have deer running along the tree line that comes up to my back yard. They'll blow at me and I'll grunt back at them; they'll even blow at my neighbor's basset hound. I enjoy walking the woods behind my house but once deer season starts, I stay out because I don't want to get impaled by some overzealous deer hunter's arrow.
The more images I see from that Tamron 150-600 zoom, the "more lens lust" I get.

Haha, thats funny MystrE. It gets frustrating though, when all you want is a silly picture and they run off lol

And yes, the Tamron is a fantastic lens! A must have in my book.

Excellent! Especially the 2nd. After many years of hunting and wild life photography (attempted) , I fully empathize with both the frustration and the joy of success. Well done!

Excellent! Especially the 2nd. After many years of hunting and wild life photography (attempted) , I fully empathize with both the frustration and the joy of success. Well done!
Thank you! It makes sitting for countless hours, counting how many planes you see, or how many squirrels you see, and......

It makes it all worth it when you have something to show for yourself.

But yes, there is nothing like seeing a Buck, or even a doe come into view and to see how close you can get to it. Very kid like.
Even more so, with a bow and arrow in hand. :icon_cool:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back