FINALLY!

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is some shots from a photoshoot. Obviousely a free shoot but I was so happy to be able to have the opportunity to photography some other childern and for this person to allow me to share some of these photos for CC. That being said, how do they look? I know they are far from perfection but if any of you have seen my past work perhaps you can tell me if I've made any strides. THANKS.....

P.S.: The older of the two girls looks as if she is squintng from the sun. This is a bit awakward but I promise you she is not. She is such a cutie but when she smiles, her cute little face and eyes wrinkle up.

122-1.jpg

116-1.jpg

79.jpg

74.jpg

64-1.jpg

18-2.jpg

I know my crops are awful!!! Just looking for some possible feedback on possible improvement. I still have a ways to go I know.

Try either a fill flash or get a reflector. Shooting portraits in direct sunlight is a poor choice, IMO.

You've lopped off some feet in 2 and 5.

The colored dress is more of a distraction in 6. It could easily be cropped out.

But hey, you've got a couple little cuties to work with, and they seem to like the lens! So keep at it.

Along the same lines as 480, get them out of the sun. Find a nice shaded area with a good backround and preferably, a large building to camera right to act as a reflector, or just bring your own.

It is very difficult, and very expensive to make shots in direct sunlight look good. The sun is a point light source, which means it is a very harsh, and very direct light. This leads to squinting, harsh shadows, and difficult lighting ratios.

Go out on an overcast day, put them in the shade(or right at the edge of the shade), or use reflectors and diffusers.

Just my .02

Moved to the People Photograhy Gallery per new guidelines for the Beginner's Forum.

Read the new Beginners Forum description when you get a chance.

You are still doing fake DoF in photoshop, aren't you?

Yeah the fake DoF was a little much, harsh shadows could be cancelled with flash or move into shade like other mentioned. I think 4 would have rocked had the lighting been correct.

The only real improvement I see from your past posts, is that these shots are at least more or less in focus....

No improvement in lighting.... or understanding of aperture, and how it affects DOF. Still cutting off limbs also.

Those are some areas you might want to "work" on! And drop the fake blurring of backgrounds.. it is cheesy!

If you knew your crops were awful why did you post them? Some basic errors on composition. In no1 the little girl looks like she is sliding downhill as your horizon is well off. I would have shot this in portrait orientation too as the space around her is doing nothing except demonstrate how slopey the horizon is. If something is obviously wrong with your shots to you, save yourself some heartache and only post ones that you don;t have such obvious flaws! In 3 and 4 conversely, they need a little more space around them. Not much, just a tiny bit as they look squeezed in. It does look a little sickly sweet for my taste with the love bit in the middle. that's probably just my taste.

amoment,

I looked through your threads and I understand that you have focusing issue. I shoot my 8 years old and 2 years old girls often also. Have you every thought of setting the focus point manually? IMO, it's a better way to get what you want focused. Try setting your focus point at the eyes of the children.

Do be mindful of your horizon, it can be easily adjusted in editing software. And also actually the edited DOF doesn't make your subject look sharper so you may want to skip this editing step.

Photographing kids are never easy but it's definitely enjoyable... Practice more. You have cute models to work with.

Cheers,
Ainsley

Most of the time, I hate putting my subject in the shade. For example if I do a portrait in a big grassy area. If I put the subject in the shade, then the grass behind the subject will be over exposed and has temperature warmer than shade. When I fix the WB, then the grass turn into neon green. I rather put my subject in the sun. More vibrant color! What OP needs is a better placement of the sun (I prefer putting the sun almost behind the subject), better selection of the background, and better post processing. Putting the subject in the shade on a nice sunny day is just an easy way out IMO. Not sure why you would not take pictures in the sun when it is such a beautiful day.

Along the same lines as 480, get them out of the sun. Find a nice shaded area with a good backround and preferably, a large building to camera right to act as a reflector, or just bring your own.

It is very difficult, and very expensive to make shots in direct sunlight look good. The sun is a point light source, which means it is a very harsh, and very direct light. This leads to squinting, harsh shadows, and difficult lighting ratios.

Go out on an overcast day, put them in the shade(or right at the edge of the shade), or use reflectors and diffusers.

Just my .02

Not that difficult at all and no it is not expensive. Below is using a long lens, hood, NO FLASH, NO REFLECTOR. Like I said, better placement of the sun, better selection of background (darker background).
p86946288.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the time, I hate putting my subject in the shade. For example if I do a portrait in a big grassy area. If I put the subject in the shade, then the grass behind the subject will be over exposed and has temperature warmer than shade. When I fix the WB, then the grass turn into neon green. I rather put my subject in the sun. More vibrant color! What OP needs is a better placement of the sun (I prefer putting the sun almost behind the subject), better selection of the background, and better post processing. Putting the subject in the shade on a nice sunny day is just an easy way out IMO.

I'm the opposite with portraiture, I avoid the subject in harsh sun especially here in FL. I use a superfast shutter to decrease the ambient in the background while lighting the subject with fill for the pop with a monolight or speedlight.

How about use that golden hour (softer light near sunrise and sunset to your advantage and shoot then instead of midday? At least until you get a better handle on it.

Image 4 is your strongest of the bunch, IMHO. Before you bring the camera up to snap, look behind your subject(s) and survey what's behind you. Is there separation between the background and subject? Are there any poles, branches, annoyances that will pop out of their heads. Lastly, some of your post work is detracting from the images (the last 2 for example). All in all, comparitively speaking you're making progress from your initial beginning. Keep it up.

Most reactions

Back