What's new

FINALLY!!!!

Ysarex92 86

TPF Supporters
Joined
Nov 27, 2011
Messages
7,717
Reaction score
4,577
Location
St. Louis
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nearly a month late, but finally!


13168836144_0bb1cf7ed8_o.jpg



Witch-hazel is native here in Missouri. It is colloquially called winter bloom because it's the first out of the gate and often blooms while there is still snow on the ground. This year it's a very welcome sight indeed. Found this one yesterday.

Joe

P.S. They're predicting snow again tonight.
 
Wow, what a beautiful bloom is has. I'm not aware of ever having seen witch hazel. It's a most unusual shape. Too bad about the snow forecast.
 
I'm with Derrel, I've never seen it before, it's neat!
All I gotta say is yay for Witch-hazel bring on spring!
(we woke up to another fresh coating of snow but lots of critters waking up and getting home from winter vacation!)
 
I've often wondered if there was a link between the unusual appearance of the flowers and the name. My expert unfortunately sheds no light on this question. There's variation in the color of the blooms from yellow through orange to nearly red on a per bush basis. Here's flowers from another bush that was nearby.

Joe

13204178163_5081a1d698_o.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom