More Nebula, Finally!

mountainjunkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started honing in my deep space photography last winter ("honing in" being relative...I'm still a beginner). Ordered a new guiding scope and camera late spring..... then it was cloudy...then the wildfires started and it was smoky....etcetera etcetera for all new moons for the last few months. So last week I caught the tail end of a new moon, wildfire smoke is gone and I lucked out with mostly cloud-free nights for 2 of 3.

Images captured with a Nikon D750 and William Optics Z61 on a Skyguider Pro, with (partially) utilizing a guiding setup for the first time from my front yard in Evergreen, CO.

Orion Nebula:

Orion Final by matt gates, on Flickr

IC1396/Elephants Trunk Nebula. This one pushes the limits of my gear, especially with the relatively limited exposure time I was able to capture (~90 min @ 60 sec exposures, ~30 min @ 180 second exposures guided) but it's a fun start.

Elephant -V2 by matt gates, on Flickr

This is the first time I've experimented with adding diffraction spikes in photoshop...may or may not eliminate them...open to opinions.

Last edited:
If I were to ask a question, it would be something stupid like, "How did you do that?" :-(

I'm riding that learning curve as well. I shot Orion last winter but my results are not a good as yours. However, I've learned a lot since then will do better with M42 this season. I am envious of your location as mine is out East and in the city so I have to head to a cabin ninety minutes away to get skies half as clear.

What's next on the list?

If I were to ask a question, it would be something stupid like, "How did you do that?" :-(

Haha I remember asking that question about some photos I saw online as well not all that long ago. Like anything photography related there are countless strategies/equipment/etc.

Lots of good YouTube videos and other online resources, if you’re really interested let me know and I’ll share some of my favorites.

I'm riding that learning curve as well. I shot Orion last winter but my results are not a good as yours. However, I've learned a lot since then will do better with M42 this season. I am envious of your location as mine is out East and in the city so I have to head to a cabin ninety minutes away to get skies half as clear.

What's next on the list?

It’s a steep curve for sure. And yes, living where I do helps quite a bit (I’d say I’m in a bottle 4/5 zone). Even from here the Orion had some significant light pollution to deal with. I also should have captured more data on one target instead of spreading time over 3 targets over multiple nights. Which brings me to your question; I captured close to an hour on Plaeides but half of it was ruined by clouds. I’ll probably make another attempt at that in December.

Fantastic colours and as ever, completely mesmerizing.

Most reactions

Back