Finding Assisting work

Phtoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, Im a recent graduate from a photography and looking for assisting work. Just wondering what the best way to go about this would be? should i contact photographers directly? - what should i say?

Any advice from people who have done this before ?? thanks heaps

Just like applying for any other job. Put together a professional resume and then head out to the local photographers and introduce yourself: "Hi, I'm Sam, I just graduated from so-and-so and am looking to gain experience in the field. Are you considering hiring assistants? (If so) Here's a copy of my resume.

Consider joining a professional association. They are (sometimes) very open about helping emerging photographers and they might be able to set you up with a mentor etc.

Also, I don't think it would be out of the question to just contact photographers in your area, who's work you admire. E-mail or Phone call would probably be appropriate, but remember that this will be your first contact with them...and first impressions are big. I know a few photographers in my area who get A LOT of these propositions and many of them go ignored, simply because they don't have the time to respond to them all.

So make sure that if you send an e-mail, your spelling, punctuation and grammar are very good. Your post above tells me that you may need some work in this area.
If you are going to call them, be calm, polite, and respectful of their time. Be enthusiastic and passionate.
If you want to be a professional, you should act in a professional manor.

Most of all, don't be too put off my rejection. You may have to contact 20 or 30 photographers before you find one willing to take you on. And even then, don't expect that everyone will offer you a paying job, or even a shooting job. Some will expect that you work for free, your compensation being the knowledge that you gain. Others may expect that you start at the bottom, holding light stands and carrying gear...and that you will have to earn more responsibility as you go.

What country are you in? What metropolitan area are you nearest to? Retail, commercial, fashion?

Judging by the time you posted, it looks like you are not in North America.

Hitting the sidewalk, knocking on doors, and networking is basically what it takes.

Tell them you will work for free for 2 weeks to test your mettle.

Join some media groups on Facebook or Meetups in your area. Get to know some photographers in your area. You're not going to get assistant work unless you apply like any typical job search with resumes, interviews, etc. More likely, some photogs will need a second shooter for an event at the last minute. Max pay is around $250-300 for the event. This is a good time of the year since it's wedding season. If you do respond to these kind of requests, then have some samples of your work in mind that demonstrates that you know how to shoot on the fly, make quick adjustments, and understand the event. You'll also be using your own equipment so that's another factor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back