Finding good used lenses is frustrating >: |

Aakajx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking for weeks now and still haven't found a good lens.. And if I do it's sold, buyer wants what he paid new or someone outbids me at the last second. I've been watching a 70-200mm 2.8 on ebay and they buyer ended the listing.. I'm gathering someone offered him a good price. It was cheap and had a day to go.

Yes so.. Hoping I'm able to find a couple of good lenses soon.

Don't limit yourself to ebay is probably the first step in finding a good quality used lens.

Although I have bought a couple of lenses on ebay as well as other non-photography items, my bidding method is don't make any bids until 2 seconds before the close, and raise the price 15-20% of what it's going for. I use my watch and synchronize it with the countdown clock on the ebay listing, so I know exactly when to click press the <ENTER> key to put in my bid.

Even though you are in Australia, don't be afraid of the used equipment departments at B&H photo, Adorama, or even Lens Rentals. They each rate the condition of their items and would likely ship overseas. But confirm they'd send it overseas and what the added costs would be.

Don't limit yourself to ebay is probably the first step in finding a good quality used lens.

Although I have bought a couple of lenses on ebay as well as other non-photography items, my bidding method is don't make any bids until 2 seconds before the close, and raise the price 15-20% of what it's going for. I use my watch and synchronize it with the countdown clock on the ebay listing, so I know exactly when to click press the <ENTER> key to put in my bid.

Even though you are in Australia, don't be afraid of the used equipment departments at B&H photo, Adorama, or even Lens Rentals. They each rate the condition of their items and would likely ship overseas. But confirm they'd send it overseas and what the added costs would be.

The other thing to look for when you want a good deal off of Ebay is auctions that are ending at inconvenient times, such as in the middle of a work day on a Tuesday. That's how I got a good deal on my 70-200 mm F/2.8 - I actually was going into a meeting and had to bid early but nobody else bid on it at the last minute so I actually managed to win it for a really good price.

I think you get better deals on used gear, better return policies, a better customer service at Amazon, KEH, B&H Photo Video and Adorama used gear departments.
bhphoto.com
adorama.com
keh.com
amazon.com

...or the Forums here. I recently bought a 70-200 F2.8 Sigma and nice Hoya CP filter for $625, delivered from the classifieds right here on TPF.

Yeah, the prices on eBay are mental at times. I really think that people get carried away with bidding and don't want to let it go. The popular lenses look reasonable but the price quickly rockets on the day the auction ends. It's also quite often I see used listings go for within ££ of a brand new lens elsewhere which seems bizzare.

Lol yeh. I don't get why people raise the price so high when its got like 5days to go. I'm looking at a 24-105mm lens at the moment and I have a feeling the price will go crazy on the last day. I'm a last minute bidder.

All my used gear has come from KEH and their grading has been spot on. I have only purchased E+ and LN- from them and they are flawless! 6 month warranty sold me.

Most reactions

Back