Finding Inspiration

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So some of you guys have most likely seen me post either a joke or my attempts at capturing a good photo on TPF by now. But now I feel like I am in a slump and hardly finding any inspiration at all. After four months of learning, shooting, getting feedback, applying by reshooting, etc. the process going on and on I feel like I am still having a difficult time with composition but I am definitely learning the technical side fairly well. So my purpose for this post is to get input on what others use as inspiration or gathering ideas. Do you go out and scout locations prior to shooting? Or do you just go out and shoot like a champ all the time? How do you dig up or find inspiration to be creative and apply it technically and producing a well composed image? Or am I being too harsh on myself and going through a moment of self-pity for not capturing mind blowning images? Just looking for some guidance from the well experienced photographers that I have interacted with not looking for a bashing via literature but that also doesn't mean I can't handle some truth if need be. Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from someone.

Setting photography completely aside, ask yourself what do you enjoy, what things do you like to do, what things have you always wanted to know more about?

Not go and photograph those things. You need to be more passionate about the things you shoot then you are about the process of taking the picture. If you do that your passion will show through in your images.

Us aspiring photographers hit a wall sometimes, I know I did a few months back too mate. It will pass. I didn't do anything spesific and the number of pics I took went way down. Now I'm back with a vengance and shooting a lot more selectivley, trying new things with a new vision. It just needs time so don't force it

Would definitely agree with Light Guru, but I have a few more thoughts on top of that.

One of the things I've found to be really helpful as I learn is to go shooting with other photographers. I'm not sure what it's like in your locale, but I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and there's tons of groups that go out regularly on "photo walks". This is great as a social event, meeting and talking with other amateur or professional photographers is really valuable. However, the thing that I find most valuable about these events is afterwards folks upload photos to whatever site they used to organize (most of the time for me it's Google+, but it could be wherever). This is valuable to me because I was there at the same time, in the same place as other photographers that I always feel take much better photos than I do, and I can see the things that I may have missed or maybe could've improved composition on, etc.. This, of course, is not meant so that I can mimic those photographers, but be inspired the next time that I'm out to look at buildings or objects more closely or with a slightly different point of view.

With regards to scouting, I generally do scout if I don't go with groups that are organized as above, but I do when going out with only a few friends. I happen to be working on an site with a friend to help with this (see my signature), but I'm not here just to promote that. I would also take a look at Flickr, 500px, Google+.. all the usual suspects for images taken near where I'm going. Again, this is not so I can mimic, but to try to at least see what is in the area that might be of interest, see what the light may do at different times of day, and gather the inspiration you are looking for :)

You certainly won't come back with incredible images every single time, but hopefully enough to inspire you to try again.

Go look at pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. LOOK at them.

Where's the light coming from? Are the colors and tones realistic or not, and if not in what direction? How long of a lens do you think was used, and why, and what was the effect? What's the depth of field, and what effect does that have?

Do you like the picture or not, and why? Is it good?

Fill your brain with pictures.

Thanks to everyone that added their two-cents. I really appreciate what everyone offers as far as advice.

I am passionate about photography but I feel rushed to take shots sometimes and don't take enough time to examine angles and different POVs.

When it comes to groups...I really don't know how to go about finding a group.

I look at pictures constantly...then rinse and repeat hahaha. Seriously though I look at pictures often but I will take your advice to look into the details a bit more.

Thanks again!

Sometimes it's also important to play with the camera. Some of the best shots are taken accidentally and if you plan everything out thoroughly you might end up losing the 'grasp the moment'-feeling that makes your picture special.

Don't worry about it, everyone gets a block from time to time, it will pass.

Yep it passes. And wouldn't worry too much. Humans are not designed to be 100% passionate all the time!
Ask all my Ex-girlfriends about that! :er: As was hard for me hearing "Is that It?" after 4 or 5 minutes of passion! :grumpy:

But take the time to enjoy the world around you as you have your camera with you.
Not I have a camera therefore I must capture the world around me.

I go on daily walkabouts to see what's out there without expectations of capturing a masterpiece.
Just interesting and not seen before by me when they present themselves and I am open and relaxed to see them.

And like mentioned sometimes to recharge I have to take a break for a bit and come back to it later.
When I have been recharged and refreshed.

I hope this video can help you by somehow :) , good luck my friend ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Go look at pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. LOOK at them.

Definitely this. When I get in a slump, I go cruise around 500px.com and look at tons of shots from other people. You get some great ideas that way, and it boosts your own motivation to go take pictures. Most users will post EXIF data as well, so you can try to recreate a certain shot on your own.

When it comes to groups...I really don't know how to go about finding a group.

Do a search on Meetup.com to see if there's a photography group in your area. If not, go to your local photo store and inquire about groups there. If there aren't any, talk to the store owner/manager to see if they'd be OK with you posting up a request to form a group with other photographers.

I have a few photographers that I admire.. I follow their blogs and usually that gives me a bit of inspiration and just thinking how they got the shots they did!

Its amazing that you have posted this question as I was about to do the same thing.

I've spent time doing landscape, close ups of animals (using a Sigma 150-500) at the zoo and I've also hit the brick wall.

Maybe I need psychotherapy.....

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.

Juga, I've given this advice before to others, but maybe it's worth repeating: Go on a photography walkabout and leave your camera at home. When you see something interesting, figure out what made it catch your eye. Look at the angle, the vantage point, see the way the light falls. Think about how you'd capture the image. Circle around. What else is there that could tell a story? How would you shoot it? What would you emphasize? In your mind's eye, take a photograph.

Accumulate a bunch of these, then come back the next day and see if you can realize the images you've captured in your mind.

The point of the exercise is to "see" and "visualize" without having to fiddle with or be distracted by the physical equipment.

Most reactions

Back