Finding your style

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am very new to the business, and right now I am really struggling with finding my own style. I seem to be getting plenty of work, and everything is really through word of mouth at this point. I have a modest website, a limited portfolio (but its growing everyday) but I still seem to get many people calling and emailing.

They say they love my style.

Yesterday and today I am editing photos from a shoot I did on Monday. I am probably more happy then I have ever been with the raw shoots. I feel like my exposure is very good in most shots, and there is very little need for adjustments. So this should be the fun part, shouldnt it? where I can really show my style by how I process the photos (and yes, I do understand that style comes from my eye, composition, lighing etc as well).

The problem is I have no idea what to do. I have tried several different styles, but nothing feels right. Some I have left alone, and with a slight adjustment, and maybe a slight crop, I thing they look good. I struggle on making them look great.

Is this because I am new, can you "get over" this hump? Maybe my limited PP skilss are to blame? Am I just not creative enough?

How long did it take you to find your style? And how can I find mine?

I am very new to the business, and right now I am really struggling with finding my own style. I seem to be getting plenty of work, and everything is really through word of mouth at this point. I have a modest website, a limited portfolio (but its growing everyday) but I still seem to get many people calling and emailing.

They say they love my style.

Yesterday and today I am editing photos from a shoot I did on Monday. I am probably more happy then I have ever been with the raw shoots. I feel like my exposure is very good in most shots, and there is very little need for adjustments. So this should be the fun part, shouldnt it? where I can really show my style by how I process the photos (and yes, I do understand that style comes from my eye, composition, lighing etc as well).

The problem is I have no idea what to do. I have tried several different styles, but nothing feels right. Some I have left alone, and with a slight adjustment, and maybe a slight crop, I thing they look good. I struggle on making them look great.

Is this because I am new, can you "get over" this hump? Maybe my limited PP skilss are to blame? Am I just not creative enough?

How long did it take you to find your style? And how can I find mine?

About having no idea what to do, you'll know what feels right as it comes..and the pieces will come together bit by bit, not necessarily all at once. Staying up on current products and technology can serve as inspiration; you don't have to necessarily buy those products and play with them, but get your imagination churning about how things work and how other photographers are doing things. The brainstorming will find its way into how you work with what resources you have available.

It almost sounds as though you feel as though style has to be defined by what you can do in photoshop, which isn't necessarily the case. There are photographers out there that are equally digital artists that paint both through the lens and with their PC, but having a style without the use of a PC is an art within itself. I personally only use Aperture to optimize the existing look of a shot, not modify the essence of what it is; there's a lot of whiz-bang out there, and that's just not me.

I don't believe that I have truly found my style either actually, but my inspiration has been movies so my drive in developing my skills is to further live up to my slogan and the story behind "Crimson Fox" (not the DC character). A true artist might be great but is always growing and learning. While I understand your frustration with not being at a comfortable spot yet stylistically, know that in some ways you may never be 100% satisfied..something has to remain out of reach for you to stay busy reaching for more.

Thanks for the reply. I definatley dont think my "style" will come soley from photoshop, or any type of post processing. But I do think that its a factor. I am getting more and more comfortable with the shots I take, with the lighting I use, with my composition.

It sometimes gets me thinking that I dont need to have a "style" to my shots...but maybe thats just an easy way out.

In my small town there are 3 main photographers. I can tell their work apart any time. One is very photojournalistic - and 80% are black and white. One is bright, bold colors and lots of wide angles. Another is very detail orientated and has a preference for vignettes.

I dont feel I have a "style" that people can distinguish me by. I tend to go for more contrast in my images, and often fall towards the overexposure side (personal preference). But then again, maybe I just dont see it...

I believe the answer to your question can only be found through experience. You may be looking for answers to early. As long as clients are coming in and they are happy; go with it. Style is everything. You will find that you will always be fine tuning your work. Tell us more about your clients and post a link to your book and we can help further. At this point your question is vague.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back