Fine art metals studio shoot

Just Jack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first attempt at a studio shoot. At the time I was working for a local ABC station and late one night I borrowed the studio and a few soft boxes to shoot some of my fiance's pieces. These are the same pieces from my last thread of the installation shoot. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum...703-personally-disoreded-devils-details.html

Also got to borrow that Nikon D40 (EXIF data is incorrect) again. I really wish I had a DSLR. The couple of times I've gotten to borrow it just haven't been enough to really learn how to use it properly.

DSC_2388.jpg

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D40
Image Date: 2008:06:29 00:54:21
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 70.0mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/14.0
ISO equiv: 640
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

DSC_2325.jpg

Image Date: 2008:06:28 23:34:39
Focal Length: 52.0mm (35mm equivalent: 78mm)
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv: 400

DSC_2369.jpg

Image Date: 2008:06:29 00:39:35
Focal Length: 50.0mm (35mm equivalent: 75mm)
Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)

DSC_2371.jpg

Image Date: 2008:06:29 00:39:55
Focal Length: 65.0mm (35mm equivalent: 97mm)

1bDSC_1943.jpg

Image Date: 2008:06:29 00:39:55
Focal Length: 65.0mm (35mm equivalent: 97mm)

This final shot (#5) is being used for the NICHE Awards the piece will be featured at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia February 15th. If the piece wins my photo will get published in NICHE Magazine.:cheer:

C&C it to death if you please :p

I like them all very well lit....however they seem very soft and not as sharp as they could be....but then again it kinda looks like that was the effect you were going for?

I'll admit making them that soft was not really my intention. I kind of like it but I feel they might have looked better if they were sharper.

I think my trouble stemmed from not being yet familiar with adjusting the depth of field.

As for the art pieces the basic idea behind them is that the wearer will either enjoy the way the piece will change as it moves or the wearer might become obsessive over attempting to control the piece. There's a whole artist statement but its rather long and probably wouldn't be of interest to most people here.

And again the pieces are made of plexi, guitar strings, translucent vinyl nubs, and colored paper

I like 1 and 3 the best. It's hard to know what the heck it is and makes for a good abstract. I like the composition on them too, especially 1.

They could benefit from a little sharpening.

i guess you have to e into this sort of thing.. i mean, obviously they are for girls.. but if I was a girl, and i had that stuff hanging off me, i would go crazy

First I wouldn't necessarily say they are just for girls. Some of the brighter colors probably lean more towards feminine but they can easily be done in black, grays, whites, and other dark or more "masculine" colors.

But yes these pieces are more attractive to people who like artistic and unique jewelry, not your run of the mill jewelry store items.

i guess you have to e into this sort of thing.. i mean, obviously they are for girls.. but if I was a girl, and i had that stuff hanging off me, i would go crazy

Not all art/production is suppose to be commercially viable... that goes from concept cars right through to fashion. Conceptual art is more about ideas and ways of thinking.

Some of these are a little soft, but i think you did a good job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back