Fire Training - Pic heavy

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Most don't realize the level of training that Volunteer Fire Departments go through. I'm sure there are probably those departments that don't take it serious, but in ours I'd put our guys up against a paid department any day. It was fun watching the young guys go through the burn trailer exercises, and I couldn't help but feel a little down that my days of doing it are gone forever. We almost had a real life emergency during the training. The trailer has the capability of simulating a Flash Over (the near-simultaneous ignition of exposed combustible material in smoke in an enclosed area), but it had mechanical problems and was supposed to be locked out. Apparently the guy operating the controls accidentally pushed the wrong button while some guys were inside, unprepared. Fortunately it only puffed, but the heat was enough to almost melt a few helmets of those who had been standing and drive home the point to always be prepared in a fire.
Training June 2020.jpg

Training June 2020-6.jpg

Training June 2020-2.jpg

Training June 2020-3.jpg

Training June 2020-5.jpg

Training June 2020-9.jpg

Training June 2020-15.jpg

Training June 2020-8.jpg

Training June 2020-7.jpg

Training June 2020-13.jpg

Training June 2020-14.jpg

Attachments

• Training June 2020-10.jpg
    Training June 2020-10.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Training June 2020-11.jpg
    Training June 2020-11.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Training June 2020-12.jpg
    Training June 2020-12.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Great set! My nephew by marriage is the chief of a VFD...He's been there about 12 years now.

Great set! Are those your photos on the trailer? Must be hot and tiring wearing all that gear.

Great set! Are those your photos on the trailer? Must be hot and tiring wearing all that gear.

Thanks, no the trailer graphics are not mine. Pretty much everything you wear is heavy and hot. Heat exhaustion is a real threat, I've gone down twice over the years, not a pleasant experience. The problem most volunteer departments face is manpower, especially during the day. Without relief available, it's easy to push yourself to far.

Great set! My nephew by marriage is the chief of a VFD...He's been there about 12 years now.

Thank you! In our department officers are elected by the voting members every 2 yrs. The position of chief or officer in a VFD is a thankless job, a lot of work, and constant headaches. I tried to avoid those spots, but I did serve on the governing board for many years.

Excellent set.

Thank you!

Great set! In the Army we had to do MOPP 4 (mission oriented protective posture) which was similar to what you guys wear but using gas masks instead. I don't recall anyone enjoying full suit. My hats off to you guys.

Great shots and story. The men's club at my 55+ retirement community set up a visit to our New Jersey Middlesex county fire training facility. We watched them run through their training and explain some of the fire fighting processes. They also gave as a practice lesson on using hand held ABC fire extinguishers, the kind you keep in your kitchen or garage. I put together a three minute video combining short clips and stills and some music.

@K9Kirk Most don't understand why we train so much. Unfortunately in a fire split second descions are required, you don't have time to think, just act. Training ingrains the action so you know what to do.

@AlanKlein 55??? That was my prime. I didn't retire from active calls till 65.

Excellent. And No 3 is such a cool image.

Great photos. Reminds me of all the shipboard firefighting training we went through in the navy.

@K9Kirk Most don't understand why we train so much. Unfortunately in a fire split second descions are required, you don't have time to think, just act. Training ingrains the action so you know what to do.

@AlanKlein 55??? That was my prime. I didn't retire from active calls till 65.

55+ is the age you have to be at least to buy a home in the community. I didn't retire and move here though until I was 68; my wife was 61.

Only you can prevent forest fires... what forest, where! Nice photo set.

The training is especially important for the Wildland folks and Smoke jumpers.
AZ and here in NM we have dry heat so forest fires are particularly dangerous. The item most dont realize is that its the heat, not necessarily the fire that kills. Smoke also takes out alot of folks.

The shots especially of the crew on the trailer is something that I hope can be used in training.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back