Fireboat for C&C

Bad Andy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

Here is a pic I took this weekend. I would love to know what I could do to make it better or perhaps maybe a better composition. For PP I mostly just adjusted the contrast and boosted the vibrancy a little bit. To me the red seams a little overblown, but it is a very bright red on the boat.

1.) f/4.2, 1/1000, ISO 200, 38 MM

Fireboat.jpg

Thank's for looking.

-Andy

Andy,
I think the saturation and vibrancy are a bit overdone...just a little bit over the top. The upper left corner's sky tones are too dark, and the land mass that appears on the left hand side looks awfully dark. The water looks a bit dark too...I just think you need to lighten it up a bit and go with a slightly more-realistic color palette.

Ok, after going back and looking at it some more, I re-adjusted the contrast and saturation, and reduced the sharpness a bit. Let me know if you think it is better. I do think the focus is off slightly.

Fireboat2.jpg

-Andy

Saturation & color are a lot better in this edit - IMO!
For me, I'd crop the left side out...have the water shooting out of the picture, but that's just me! The land is a wee cluttered for me.

I prefer the original pp...it's a dramatic event and so I think the dramatic pp is fine. The red is far from blown...it's at 160-ish at the most. I think you need the land, though to emphasize what's going on...without it, what's the point, right? I do agree that the upper left sky looks a bit dark, but in your 2nd edit, the overall color has lost some of it's oompf.

Your picture is nice, I like the contrast. I guess I would show a little less sky. With this kind of picture, following the "thirds rule" strictly is usually the most powerful.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

Tom123- I am still a new photographer and learning, but I thought I was following the "thirds rule" in this photo. I positioned the boat on the right third, and had the waterline (horizon) on the lower third. Am I mis-intrepreting the rule somehow?

-Andy

One doesn't have to follow the thirds rule, and rule of thirds pics aren't always the most powerful. But um the thirds rule for landscape (seascape?) doesn't always put the horizon on the lower vertical line; you can also put it on the top vertical to emphasise the foreground (the sea in this case) and I think that's what tom123 meant.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

Tom123- I am still a new photographer and learning, but I thought I was following the "thirds rule" in this photo. I positioned the boat on the right third, and had the waterline (horizon) on the lower third. Am I mis-intrepreting the rule somehow?
-Andy
Your horizon is at the lower third, but my eyes are drawn to the line extending from the bottom of the ship. IMO this line should be at the bottom third position. Also, the back of the boat seems unnecessarily cut off and the extreme left shore is a little cluttered as previously mentioned.

Most reactions

Back