Fireground emergency services photography

STICKMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So where all the fireground photgraphers out there at, I know I can't be the only person on here who shoots this type of work... Anybody out there do fire department / ems/ rescue photgraphy?

Firemedic,

You have online shots of your fireground shots. I browsed your site but didn't see any?

Texas, very cool, i have family in the anderson area...

yeah I have a few. I will get them on there tonight. Dont have alot as I usually get roped into working if I show up with a camera you know lol.

How does one get into this kind of thing? I'm really drawn to that kind of photography, but I'm not exactly sure how someone gets the in to do it. Any tips?

I'm second in command of the Fire Investigation Unit for a Career Fire Dept.. I get to shoot the scene after the action most of the time. If we get a call while I'm on shift and it sounds like they've got something I try to head over to the scene to get action shots.Sadly, most of the time I'm otherwise engaged when the bells hit.

How does one get into this kind of thing? I'm really drawn to that kind of photography, but I'm not exactly sure how someone gets the in to do it. Any tips?

Its really not that hard. You can get a scanner and just go shoot whatever you want. You just have to make sure to stay outa the way and dont draw attn to yourself.
If you want to get a little closer to the action you may want to talk to your local fire dept and get to know them a little bit. Most dept,s love to have pictures of fire/ems scenes and usually resort to hounding the press photogs to get some pictures.Who knows you get close enough to them they may make you a dept photog( we had one that was a civilian.
Might wanna start with taking a few pics and going by the FD and give them a few,I promise they will like them.Dont expect to be paid,or reimbursed for them either as FD/PD budgets are usually tighter than dicks hatband.

Cool. That's good information. I hadn't thought of the idea of getting a scanner. I'll look into that. If I were to just go and get to know the folks at the fire department and they were interested in letting me get some pictures, how could I expect to be involved in doing that? I mean, know that something was going down?

Cool. That's good information. I hadn't thought of the idea of getting a scanner. I'll look into that. If I were to just go and get to know the folks at the fire department and they were interested in letting me get some pictures, how could I expect to be involved in doing that? I mean, know that something was going down?

you would have to use a scanner or if you became like a staff photographer you would probably be put on a call out list when the big stuff goes down.

Hi Folks,
New to the forum, wanted to say hi. I have been shooting fire scenes for many years in the Detroit MI / Windsor ON area. An easy way to get on the good side of Firefighters is to stay out of the way. Take some shots of firemen working, and quickly ask " what station / house you from?" When they give you a station number say " I'll drop them off." Then a few days later show up with a bunch of nice 8 X 10s and trust me you are in. Be sure to take photos of the chief talking with a firefighter or two and make sure the chief gets a copy. If you get lucky to capture something funny or a dramatic rescue, make sure the guys get a copy, they will love you for it. Never Sell pictures to the guys in the firehouse, sell them to the news papers and mags like FIREHOUSE. When the guys want portraits, or other photos they will come to you, so be sure they can contact you. Do this a few times and you will soon be welcome in the firehouse and on fire scenes with open arms. As a Firefighter getting your picture taken is the last thing on your mind, but when given a nice picture of me working or a group pic of the whole company at a fire scene, it becomes a treasured memory.

All the above information is great, with that said I will add to it. Don't plan on being able to get to close with out proper ID. Here in New Jersey esp south nj, PD keeps a tight hold on most scenes. I have a state issued press pass and that how I go about it. I provide photography to a breaking news web page as well as a couple fire departments that I staff photographer for.

As far as photos, keep in mind there is more to firefighting then just fighting the fire, So stick around and catch some pics of the men and women cleanig up the gear trucks etc on location.

Check you local laws reguarding scanners and be carefull you dont want to become a suspect.

Keep in mind firegrounds are fast moving very active locations, condition change in matters of seconds so always be on your guard. A blown hose can be the end of your life!!!!

Find out what night your local department drills on and ask to drop by and take some pictures of them practicing. Get these pics back to the dept by the next drill night or sooner. THese kinds of pracrices say allot about your attitude and will show you are interested.

Dont be shocked if contacted by PD /FD/ etc for copies of your pictures to be used for investagation or such.

Most of all get out there and have a good time theres pleanty of calls to shoot.

Good Luck and feel free to pm me if you have any ?s

First thing first: Use Caution on the scenes. They are very busy (may not seem this way but trust me they are). I am a dept. photographer who has experience. Family member in one dept. 3 started a the same Vol. dept. 1 left due to issues with command during family emergency 1 moved out of state to be a paramedic, the other 1 became a FF/Paramedic on paid dept. 2 hours away. I have been to many calls with them in the past and got to know first hand what goes on. Then in 2009 I was asked by a local paid dept. if I would be their official vol. dept. photographer after I went to two local fires in 8 days (doesn't happen that much in this area) both were major fires. I took the photos at the first one (chief asked for copy while I was there) dropped the cd off 2 days later. Second one happened, I showed up shot noce photos of the scene (Most sides but not all due to space issues / safety / access). Dropped off the cd 2 days later and was asked. Now I have unlimited outside of building access. People are always moving as well as more units may be needed. Keep alert to this. Next: talk to local dept. and take some of the photos with you. Maybe you will be lucky enough to get some better access and cooperation. Third: Be Professional - watch what you do photograph (No Patient Faces or No Inside Ambulances) due to privacy laws. If you do get good shots at scenes maybe the dept. would ask you about having them published.

This thread died well over 2 yeras ago and STICKMAN last posted 12-27-2008 03:44 PM .

You'll do a lot better starting your own threads.

Most reactions

Back