Fireworks Photography

What is the f# and shutter speed for this photo?

18-55 kit lens, 26mm, f/5.6, 2 sec exposure, ISO 100

Thanks! I have to decide to use either the 18-55 kit lens or my 35 f/1.8. The 35 prime would be better, right?

Maybe. It's difficult to tell. In the case of that photo, I was set up just outside the parking lot at work. I was only about 300 yards away from where it was going off, so a 35mm would have been too long, but depending on how far you are away, your 35 might be perfect.

Decisions....my Tokina 11-16 should be delivered today as well

If it's one firework going off, it's not a problem, my problem is when there are a few going off .

The bulb settings will make some brighter than others due to exposure time. am I rite?

Much like lightning, the light you capture comes mostly from the firework itself. Therefore the exposure, even of multiple fireworks in the frame, is controlled by your aperture. The only time shutter speed really matters is at dusk when you're trying to get some sky properly exposed. Something like this:

Good shot!

Whew that is a GREAT pic!!!

im going to use my tokina 11-16 this weekend and it will be my first time shooting fireworks with my dslr.

OK, I got some great shots that I will post in here in the near future. Unfortunately due to having the kids with me I couldn't really get a good vantage point with some scenery however for standing pretty much underneath them I think I did OK.

Pictures coming .

Awesome! I look forward to seeing them.

I'm really disappointed. The two towns that do fireworks around me are on the same night, so I only get one shot.

Most reactions

Back