Fireworks Photography

tommac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,
I have done a search but not alot there.
There is a large fireworks display next Friday & I want to use the oppertunity to take a few photos.
I'm really interested in what kind setting I will need to use to capture these.
Obviously a longish shutter speed to capture many explosions but I am worried about trying to focus on the fireworks so they are sharp.
My equipment is EOS 500D, 18-55 kit lens, tripod, remote shutter.

Any tiops would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Tom Mac

With fireworks you shouldnt really have to worry about getting them in focus, youll more than likely be using a wide angle lens and the camera to subject distance will be great, so you should very easily get a lot in focus. Look up "depth of field calculator" and "hyperfocal distance" on the net.

With a wide angle lens anything over 100 feet away is effectively at infinity.

Put your camera in manual focus mode and set the lens to infinity

In daylight be sure infinity focus for the lens you will be using doesn't go beyond infinity and get blurry.

i read some advice online and they point to a somewhat slow F/8 and typical exposure would be 8 secs. Use the bulb setting on your camera and with the remote take a picture when you anticipate a firework and when it is about to dissipate you release.

i read some advice online and they point to a somewhat slow F/8 and typical exposure would be 8 secs. Use the bulb setting on your camera and with the remote take a picture when you anticipate a firework and when it is about to dissipate you release.
That's how I've always done it.

Fireworks are tricky but can be done. In the past i've just tried things over and over. Eventually one will come out. :lol:

2 of my best shots....only tried shooting at one fireworks event so far
n503279743_265114_5856.jpg

n503279743_265115_7513.jpg

If I am right the typical scenario is to set the cam to 100 iso, f/10-16m, then use the remote and bulb mode to cap the firework?

Yup. I usually only stop down to f/8 though...

Hopefully I can get a remote by this weekend!

If it's one firework going off, it's not a problem, my problem is when there are a few going off .

The bulb settings will make some brighter than others due to exposure time. am I rite?

If it's one firework going off, it's not a problem, my problem is when there are a few going off .

The bulb settings will make some brighter than others due to exposure time. am I rite?

Much like lightning, the light you capture comes mostly from the firework itself. Therefore the exposure, even of multiple fireworks in the frame, is controlled by your aperture. The only time shutter speed really matters is at dusk when you're trying to get some sky properly exposed. Something like this:

3685495135_fbde4ac59b_b.jpg

Much like lightning, the light you capture comes mostly from the firework itself. Therefore the exposure, even of multiple fireworks in the frame, is controlled by your aperture. The only time shutter speed really matters is at dusk when you're trying to get some sky properly exposed. Something like this:

3685495135_fbde4ac59b_b.jpg

What is the f# and shutter speed for this photo?

Most reactions

Back