First action shots: Minors Baseball

JeromeMorrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just started shooting on friday, but my lil' bros baseball league needs a photographer and they asked me. I definetely need some critique so that I can improve my shots over the season. I should be getting a zoom lens within the next few weeks.

2484280800_b8b5bbfd74.jpg

2484287532_a941604263.jpg

2484291056_82bfdd960f.jpg

2484302670_a7c7078b6e.jpg

2484322766_892782a6b4.jpg

2483531837_184543ae84.jpg

2484349070_6864dc361c.jpg

Thanks for any comments!

I know it's my first time but I didn't think they were that bad? Any C&C?

For me most of them are underexposed (levels) and i'd prefer to see more vibrant colours. You have to watch your histogram. The best thing to do is to get it on the RHS but don't overexpose. It's tricky but apparently it improves the quality of the shot.
I don't know what lens you've got but i'd try to zoom in on the batter when he's about to hit the ball.

Overall i like how you captured the action but there's some room for improvement.

3# is my favourite. I like the "layers".

What is RHS? Unfortunately I was dealing with a rainy Vancouver day so everything was quite drab already, and I'm not experienced enough yet to know how to boost the shot in those situations. Unfortunately I only have my kit lens, so I can't get any closer. As soon as I get the cash I'll get a zoom lens (probably the beercan). Thanks for the critique!

Okay, where to start? I realize that you've just got your camera and you've done a good job considering your experience level.

That said, yes, they are a bit underexposed. That can be fixed by photoshop (or whatever you're using to process your images).

You need to get closer. If all you have is a prime focus lens, get up closer to the subject. I'm sure you can find a spot where you'll be out of the way, but watch out for foul balls!

Try to get away from positioning your subject in the center of the frame vertically. You've got a lot of cut-off legs. Move the head up towards the top of the frame.

Learn how to adjust the shutter speed and apeture on your camera. Learn how to take a light reading and manually adjust your exposure so that your photos won't be affected by a overly dark (or light) background. In sports photography, your goal is the action, not the overall photo (mostly). Adjust exposure to that action.

Also, not sure you were wanting to focus on the catcher in photo #3. If not, your autofocus picked him up and decided he was the primary subject. This is because in matrix autofocus, your camera decides on the largest subject in the frame. Learn how your camera uses single-point autofocus or work with manual focus. If you did want to focus on him, you've got framing problems. He's too close to the edge and too low in the frame.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back