First attempt at a "cartoonish" edit.

Tbini87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife and I are slowly getting used to LR3 and have been finding out that it can do a lot of cool stuff. I saw some posts a while back about getting some cool "cartoonish" shots by people like Dave Hill and some others. Someone linked a tutorial by Kelby on how to get the look in LR3 (moving Fill Light, Contrast, Recover, Vibrance, and Clarity to 100. Then balance the Blacks, and take Saturation way down until it looks reasonable). I decided to try it on a recent shot for fun, and pretty much failed. Probably not good enough light and I am still pretty bad with LR3. The skin shows too much acne imo. Any thoughts on how to improve the shot? Any people getting this effect in LR3 by using a different approach?

Travis.jpg

There has to be at least a few people out there that have used LR3 and Kelby's tutorial! Comments welcome.

Looks pretty good to me. I know this edit only works for certain pictures. I have fooled around with it before. What is the link to that tutorial?

Here is a link to a couple I have done. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...other-football-portrait-one-my-favorites.html

Man, I can't seem to find it! Here is a very similar one, but Kelby talked more about lighting and stuff too.

The Dave Hill Look in Lightroom

I really like your football shot though, very nice! I will keep looking around for the actual Kelby tutorial when I have time (finals week right now unfortunately), and throw it in here or PM you if I can find it.

I like the photo that you posted. But I honestly can't say it reminds me of a cartoon. :shrug:

It's an "effect" that is included with Gimp. I used it a few times. This is what the one in Gimp looks like...

Flower_Crop_Carbon.JPG
I haven't tried the effect on anything other than that shot yet, but will give it a go with some flowers soon probably. Thanks for sharing.

Could be straight out of an ad for a pickup truck...nicely done! The combo of this PP with blue eyes, blonde hair and the overall features makes for a Daniel Craig-esque look.

My wife and I are slowly getting used to LR3 and have been finding out that it can do a lot of cool stuff. I saw some posts a while back about getting some cool "cartoonish" shots by people like Dave Hill and some others. Someone linked a tutorial by Kelby on how to get the look in LR3 (moving Fill Light, Contrast, Recover, Vibrance, and Clarity to 100. Then balance the Blacks, and take Saturation way down until it looks reasonable). I decided to try it on a recent shot for fun, and pretty much failed. Probably not good enough light and I am still pretty bad with LR3. The skin shows too much acne imo. Any thoughts on how to improve the shot? Any people getting this effect in LR3 by using a different approach?

Travis.jpg

Is this the kind of look you are going for?
4lmnyf

If it is, I don't know how to achieve this effect with just LR3. Everything I did was managed with layers in PS. I did use LR3 to compress out a manageable file size.

I prefer the original.

Travis.jpg

Is this the kind of look you are going for?
4lmnyf

If it is, I don't know how to achieve this effect with just LR3. Everything I did was managed with layers in PS. I did use LR3 to compress out a manageable file size.

I like the edit though it isn't the direction I wanted to go. I was trying to make it look a little more "cartoonish" or drawing-like. I wish I had PS but will be stuck with LR3 for a while longer (which I am finding can do a lot more than I originally thought). Thanks.

Most reactions

Back